Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Records for an MBE

Is it possible to find a record of an award such as an MBE or OBE online?
    In the family there is a misplaced medal and citation. Probably an MBE.
    The recipient was W.H.Bryant(1884-1959)lived London area mostly. Although born in NZ.
    He worked for the Colonial Service at one stage and during WW2, for the Ministry of Munitions in UK.
    As far as I can make out he wasn't a regular soldier but a civiliam employee.

Mutley

I am not sure but others will know, meanwhile try
    The London Gazette.
    It may also be worth reading what the TNA advise regarding Military Medals
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...line/wo373.asp

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by triggerandme View Post
    The recipient was W.H.Bryant(1884-1959)lived London area mostly.
    Just so we know, are you referring to this individual - William Henry Bryant, as reported here in 1920, (3rd up bottom right.)

Starting to feel at home

Yes thats him!!
    Thanks, the proof at last.

Quote Originally Posted by triggerandme View Post
    Yes thats him!!
    Thanks, the proof at last.
    Glad you have your proof. Identical information was also reported in the London Gazette 3 days earlier on the 02 Nov 1920. See here.

strawberrymivvy

I may be being really thick, but is there a knack to searching the London Gazette records? My great grandfather, John Cooper, was awarded the MBE in the 1946 New Years honours list, and I've never actually been able to find the link. I believe it was for services to miners' welfare, but would love to find out more.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrymivvy View Post
    I may be being really thick, but is there a knack to searching the London Gazette records? My great grandfather, John Cooper, was awarded the MBE in the 1946 New Years honours list, and I've never actually been able to find the link. I believe it was for services to miners' welfare, but would love to find out more.
    Have you searched the London Gazette Supplement for the year 1946? The New Year Honours list for 1946 is issue number 37407. See here for the first page.

There are rather a lot of pages to look through manually, but another method for searching through all the pages of a particular issue is to go to the London Gazette advanced search page, then click on the "search by Gazette Issue Number" link about halfway down the page, enter 37407 for the issue number and John Cooper in one of the Words boxes. This will limit the results to individuals named John Cooper who were included in the list for the 1st Jan that year; If he can't be found in that list then we can try the honours lists published later in that year.

Coromandel

The big awards were announced in The Times of 1 January 1946, but there were so many awards for war work that there was a second batch on 9 January 1946 ('the largest number of awards of the O.B.E., the M.B.E., and the B.E.M. since the war of 1914-18').

This led me to this supplement to the London Gazette, for 9 January 1946:

https://www.
    london-gazette.co.uk/issues/37412/supplements/290

strawberrymivvy

Thanks Coromandel, at last I can see him!

Does anyone know if it's possible to actually find out more detail about why the honour was awarded? Is there anywhere I could write to?

Starting to feel at home

I was wondering the same thing too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast