Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home Creighton's Avatar

Default e-Petition for BMD certificates issue

I would like to publicise this e-petition and hopefully get as many of you to 'sign' it if you feel inclined to do so.
    https://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/1792
    It is self explanatory
    and could make things a lot easier (and cheaper) for us genealogists.
    Thank you for your time.
    Regards.

Mutley

Thank you.
    I hope many people do sign it.
    Unfortunately, those of us who reside outside of the UK are not allowed to 'sign' even though we are purchasers of certificates for genealogy purposes.

Loves to help with queries Nightryder's Avatar

Creighton,
    Considering there are people all over the world who have British Ancestry why is this e-petition only open to uk resisdents.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Because it is a government site set up as a means to make the electorate think they are being listened to.

The best way to have an effect is to bombard MPs with letters and emails daily.
    The more letters and emails an MP gets the more chance they will take notice of what is being requested.

This is even more effective if the letters are sent to the MPs home address rather than the constituency office.
    If they have to wade through one hundred letters a day to receive the letters they want to read, the MP will start making noises in Parliament to try to end the barrage.

Petitions are simply filed away without a second thought.
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Reputation beyond repute

why is this e-petition only open to uk resisdents.
    For the same reason that the Australian government isn't interested in currying favour with me.

terrysfamily

Probably having a senior moment but may I ask what the difference is between a certified and uncertified copy (besides the price)? And how would it relate to me getting said certificate for someone born in 1850? would it show less information?

I have signed by the way.

Reputation beyond repute

You could copy a marriage register entry, say, from the LMA Ancestry collection. This would be an uncertified copy.

If you wish, you could pay the standard fee and ask the archivist, acting as Diocesan Record Officer, to certify it as a true copy of the register entry. That's a certified copy (or "certificate").

terrysfamily

Ah, right, so at the moment I'm paying around £7 extra for someone to put a stamp on something that I already know to be a true copy. I wonder if I could get away with charging the government for my official stamp when they ask me to supply them with information.

e.g. This is not a certified copy of the information you have asked me to supply. For a certified copy there will be a fee of £7, this is to cover administration costs.

I'm gonna try it heh

jac65

Quote Originally Posted by terrysfamily View Post
    Ah, right, so at the moment I'm paying around £7 extra for someone to put a stamp on something that I already know to be a true copy. I wonder if I could get away with charging the government for my official stamp when they ask me to supply them with information.

e.g. This is not a certified copy of the information you have asked me to supply. For a certified copy there will be a fee of £7, this is to cover administration costs.

I'm gonna try it heh
    The difference in cost between the GRO producing an uncertified certificate against a certified copy is negligable, the only difference would be in the cost of the different papers. Unfortunately, once again someone has started a petition without any basic research into how the GRO operates and what actual costs are incurred,

Andy

Reputation beyond repute

The difference in cost between the GRO producing an uncertified certificate against a certified copy is negligible
    I suspect you're right and that all the petition is effectively asking for is a reduction in price which is whistling in the wind in the current climate.

And why on earth don't people get these petitions proof read before submitting them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast