Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mabel

Default George Gardiner/Gardner

There are many family histories including George Gardiner (b. 1599/1600, son of The Rev. Michael Gardiner and Margaret Brown). The problem is, there may be two of them. There is a marriage to Sarah Slaughter in London, 1630, with two sons Edward and Robert, b. abt. 1631 and 1633. This story has mother and both sons dead at sea on the Fellowship of Bristol, 1637, with George arriving in America alone. Unfortunately there is no record of this. There is a record of Rebeccah, dau of George Gardiner, buried 29 Oct 1657 in London. And there are 3 George Gardiner wills for 1655-1658 in the PRO,; none is obviously the right one.

The American George does not appear until 1638 in Newport RI.

How can I verify the life.\, and/or death of George, son of Michael?

Katharine Gardner Cipolla

Mutley

There are a few notes attached to his record in the Millennium File.
    Birth 15 Feb 1599 at Greenford, Middlesex and death in 1677 at Newport.
    His children are listed as
    Benoni (1636, Middlesex - 1731, Newport)
    Edward (1631, Middlesex - 1637, Newport)
    Robert Gardner (1633, Middlesex - 1637, Newport)

I realise that you obviously know this information but it may help others researching for you.

Mutley

The baptism seems to have been at Holy Cross, Greenford (Ealing)
    I am not good at reading the old hand writing but there seem to be a couple of other baptisms there as well as George in 1599 so maybe they ae siblings?

Martha 15 July 1593
    Anne 20 Aug 1593
    John 14 June 1595

Mutley

Very qualified researchers seem to have done a lot of work on this family.
    https://
    freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~lrhgenes/Gardners/RhodeIsland.html

Mabel

Yes. Benoni is documented very well--Edward and Robert not so much. They never made it to Newport. Most files have them "lost at sea." Sadly, there is no documentation that they WERE ever at sea. Best of all possible worlds--we find revidenceof them stillin England after 1638.

There is lots of rubbish being filed on this family. Extra children, multiple candidated for spouses. The one- or two0George question may be the hardest.

Mabel

I didn't have siblings. (Martha and Anne are awfully close.) Thank you.

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Mabel View Post
    I didn't have siblings. (Martha and Anne are awfully close.) Thank you.
    Don't forget these are baptisms not births. All sorts of reasons why the baptisms were close, may have even been cousins not siblings.
    If as is said, the Rev Michael Gardiner was the vicar of Holy Cross, I would imagine that he, at least, would get the Gardiner families registered correctly.

Mutley

The records do seem to be available for the church so it may be well worth, in this time frame, acquiring them.
    They may give you a wider picture.

Records of the parish of Holy Cross, Greenford. This collection includes parish registers of baptisms, marriages and burials (1539/40-1989)
    https://www.aim25.ac.uk/cgi-bin/vcdf/...v1=search&nv2=

Mabel

I will check for these in Salt Lake City. If they are not there, I will
    have an excellent excuse for a trip to London!
    Thank you.
    I have also ordered Michael's will from the PRO to see if he mentions any other granshcildren. If George was having childrenin England, he can't have been doing the samein Newport.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Records of the parish of Holy Cross, Greenford. This collection includes parish registers of baptisms, marriages and burials (1539/40-1989)
    https://www.aim25.ac.uk/cgi-bin/vcdf/...v1=search&nv2=
    Quote Originally Posted by Mabel View Post
    I will check for these in Salt Lake City. If they are not there, I will
    have an excellent excuse for a trip to London!
    I may have misunderstood what you're looking for, but images of the parish registers for Holy Cross Greenford at this early period are available online on the pay/subscription site Ancestry, in their database London, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812.

These are searchable by name. But if you want to browse rather than search, you'll need to select Ealing from the dropdown list of London boroughs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast