stevenwright02

Default Information on Birth Certificate

Good morning,

On the birth certificates that I have accumulated, the where born entry in the "when and where born" is a residential address (house number and road name).

Does this mean they were home births rather than being born in hospital? or is this simply the residence of the parents?

Colin Rowledge

In my own case and for that of my dad, it was a home birth. In other cases, where an address is mentioned, I have concluded [rightly or wrongly] that these were home births with either a doctor or midwife in attendance.

Most children were born at home in the 19th century. More modern certificates will give the place of birth as the hospital. Of course the place of birth given in the certificates you have could have been the residence of a relative or a friend, but in most cases would be the residence of the parents.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Name well known on Brit-Gen

It depends on the date. After about 1904, the address in the Where Born column may be the 'disguised' address of an institution, such as a former poor law infirmary or hospital.
    See here for more information.
    www.
    workhouses.org.uk/addresses/

Jeuel

I've found workhouses given as addresses on birth certs and hospitals given as addresses on death certs I have confirmed this by looking in the relevant street directories of the time.