Thread: Hello from me

LindaJenkins

Default Hello from me

Hi, my name is Linda Jenkins. I live in Long Beach, California.
    I am first generation American.

My dad was born and grew up in Liverpool. He attended Hywel DDa Junior Mixed School. (I recently found his report card from when he was 9) He was a soccer player in the late 1940's and early 50's. He, along with my mom's family immigrated to Canada, then the USA in May 1955. My mother was born in Birmingham (I am a member of the Birmingham History Forum also).

I have recently begun looking and searching for family members and distant relatives. I have been able to locate quite a few family members and it is so exciting.

I look forward to making friends on this forum and I appreciate all the help I can get.

I am a preschool teacher and mother of 2.

Blessings,
    Linda

LindaJenkins

Thank you Bo! I look forward to spending some quality time on this site!

Starting to feel at home

Hi Linda and welcome,
    Your dad's school, hywel dda, is apparently Welsh, and appears to be in Cardiff, Wales; Jenkins is traditionally a Welsh surname, but you say your father was born and brought up in Liverpool. Did he have earlier Welsh origins?
    Enjoy your research,
    Godo

LindaJenkins

Quote Originally Posted by Gododdin View Post
    Hi Linda and welcome,
    Your dad's school, hywel dda, is apparently Welsh, and appears to be in Cardiff, Wales; Jenkins is traditionally a Welsh surname, but you say your father was born and brought up in Liverpool. Did he have earlier Welsh origins?
    Enjoy your research,
    Godo
    I asked my mother just to be sure. My dad was born in Liverpool. She thinks that they had moved to Liverpool for my grandfather's work. They moved back to Cardiff and lived with his mom until they got their own place. 14 Fremington Place, Llanrumney. My grandparents were at the same house when I visited them in 1986. I am waiting on information from my Aunt, who is in London. She is putting together some ancestry information for me. My father has Alzheimer's, so he cannot help me with details. My aunts name is Anne, but he calls her Ceinwen. (not sure that is the correct spelling) I also have a great cousin (i think) that lives in Swansea.
    I believe that his muth's side had more welsh ... her maiden name was Jones. Can't wait for the information from my Auntie Anne!

Thanks for the welcome. Hope to chat with you again.

Blessings, Linda

Starting to feel at home

Hi Linda,
    I hope your Auntie Anne provides you with the information you need; I'm sure you'll move forward with leaps and bounds. Ceinwen, I'm sure, is perfectly correct.
    Best wishes,
    Godo