Thread: FENWICK FAMILY

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default FENWICK FAMILY

I am trying to get back further with my Fenwick line which currently goes back as far as John Fenwick son of Ralph Fenwick bapt 1736 at Washington. I can find no marriage for Ralph or any siblings for John. All i spotted was a baptism for a Ralph Fenwick in 1707 at Heworth on the igi and wondered if anyone else was doing this branch and had any ideas

well ok i have decided to go one step back on this one...John Fenwick married Ruth Steel in 1778 in Washington. I have found only two children baptised in 1779 and 1780. then nothing. Ruth Steel was baptised in June 1755 in Washington making her 23ish when she married. However the John Fenwick born in Biddich Burn, Washington in 1736 maybe too early. I found someone else had decided that he was the correct person, always a risk and dont know what their evidence is. He would be 42ish when they married which could answer why their were only two children. I have a copy of the marriage which states that they were both of the parish and mentions nothing about either being a widow(er) and they were married by banns and not licence. What does anyone think. i dont want to push backwards until i am happy with John.

Lynne Black

Default Fenwick Family

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Mark View Post
    I am trying to get back further with my Fenwick line which currently goes back as far as John Fenwick son of Ralph Fenwick bapt 1736 at Washington. I can find no marriage for Ralph or any siblings for John. All i spotted was a baptism for a Ralph Fenwick in 1707 at Heworth on the igi and wondered if anyone else was doing this branch and had any ideas
    hi, i also have a fenwick line, starting with richard fenwick born 1786 in south shields, son of george fenwick and elizabeth hoult. george was born 1761 in south shieds, son of richard fenwick and dorothy shanks. im not sure but its possible that this richard was born 1715 in mitford, northumberland, son of hugh fenwick and jane urwen. any of these names ring a bell? regards, lynne

janbooth

According to the Durham Marriage Bonds (available to browse via Family Search Pilot website), Ralph FENWICK married Ann FRENCH 26 October 1734 at Newbourn. She was a widow of Newbourn and he was from Heddon on the Wall and a Yeoman.

Have you searched through the parish register images of Washington 1765-1847 (also available on Family Search Pilot) to see if there were indeed any other children and whether either Ruth or John died in that period. If John died after 1812, hopefully you should have an age for him which should then tell you approximately when he was born.

Janet

Jan... i am not happy about this one being my Ralph Fenwick...because this man is a yeoman from Heddon on the wall who married at Newbourn. That is fine but the baptism of his son has him as a basket (corvers) maker in Washington and i know people change occupation or fall on hard times etc but i am not convinced. i would welcome your comments but i think it needs further work. But it would be good if it was him.

janbooth

Yes, I think we can discount this Ralph FENWICK as Family Search Beta has him having various children in Newburn until at least 1739 - pity that! Will look further and see if I can come up with anything.

Janet

janbooth

Back again. Well, I have checked the Bishops Transcripts of Washington for records pertaining to John and have come up with the following:

15 July 1779 John son of John FENWICK of North Biddie, Pitman, baptised
    23 July 1780 Sarah daughter of John FENWICK of North Biddie baptised

BUT, there is also:

31 July 1779 Ruth FENWICK wife of John FENWICK of North Biddie buried

So either John remarried and Sarah is the daughter of he and his second wife or the date of the burial record has been entered in the Bishops Transcripts incorrectly and should perhaps be 1780. Either way it explains why there are only 2 children.

There appear to be 2 John FENWICKs in Washington, the other shown as being from Great Unworth (is Unworth correct?). There is also another baptismal record shown on Family Search Beta of a George FENWICK on 5 July 1785 to a John & Dorothy but unfortunately the year July 1785 to June 1786 appears to be missing from the actual Bishops Transcripts, so I don't know if this is the John FENWICK from Great Unworth or your John who has perhaps remarried.

This doesn't help trace the parents of your John and the Bishops Transcripts of Washington on Family Search Beta only start in 1765 so I don't think I can help any further I'm afraid. Probably the only way to get further back is trawling through the actual parish records.

Good luck

Janet

i have another baptism entry for anne Fenwick baptised October 1780 just a couple of months after Sarahs baptism so i presume that these are both the other John Fenwick's. ruths burial is new to me, thank you. Ruth was baptised in 1755 in Washington but i dont know why i thought John was the son of Ralph as he was baptised at Washington in May 1736. So i might be way out...cant remember why i thought it may be the right person.

janbooth

Just to confirm that the baptism of Anne on 19 October 1780 was shown as the daughter of John FENWICK of Great Usworth (I think that is the correct place as Parish Chest sell a CD of Washington & Great Usworth).

Janet

weintcorner

Just joined the forum and I have found exactly what you state.I have trawled the P Records.I agree that the other John of Usworth yeoman is not the one who was the son of the corver Ralph.I think maybe my John who was born 1736 of Biddick, Washington was a widower by the time he married Ruth Steel.It wasn't unusual for a man around 40 to marry a woman in her twenties.It may have been that he had children needing a mother.Similarly the death of Ruth on the 31st July 1779 could have been whilst giving birth and that the child Sarah didn't get christened until a year later in 1780. I couldn't find her birth just a christening .The 2 events could be a while apart or the entry should read 1779 for the christening.Do you know if anyone on this search has had any success? Barbara