Loretta Headley

Cool James ALLNATT - Crowmarsh Gifford

I am trying to find the parents of James ALLNATT who was born in Crowmarsh Gifford in abt 1789. He married Mary Ann COX in 1813 in Crowmarsh Gifford and they had 6 children (William, Susannah, Edwin, Eleanor, Henry & Thomas) that I have found.

There are a large number of ALLNATT's who lived & were born in the Crowmarsh Gifford area, but they are quite a 'well to do' family, my James was recorded on the 1851 Census as a Master Smith.

All help appreciated

Loretta

Reputation beyond repute

Where have you looked? You need to look at the original register or a reliable transcription (second best but I'm familiar with the practical difficulties so far as Oxfordshire is concerned). You can buy it or since you're in the home counties the Society of Genealogists (Clerkenwell) should have it on their shelves.

Thomasin

There is a tree on Ancestry which gives his parents as Richard Allnatt and Sarah Deane. Right spouse, Mary Ann Cox, but the marriage is given as 1825.

Reputation beyond repute

Oxon marriage index shows James Hollis ALLNATT of Tetsworth marrying Mary Ann COX at Crowmarsh Gifford on 6 Nov 1813

This is an example of the danger of confusing indexes with sources.

I would suggest Loretta gets hold of the Tetsworth registers

Reputation beyond repute

Further to the above, you can buy the Tetsworth transcriptions for a few pounds or if you pop in to the Society of Genealogists library, the Goadby transcription is on the shelves. They also have Tetsworth MIs.

janbooth

From Oxfordshire FHS Marriage Index:

6 November 1813 at Crowmarsh Gifford James Hollis ALLNATT of Tetsworth & Mary Ann COX

Other ALLNATT marriages (from the same source) with a Crowmarsh Gifford connection:

31 July 1758 at Crowmarsh Gifford John ALLNATT & Mary WEST
    2 August 1778 at Crowmarsh Gifford Edward ALLNATT & Ann LAWRENCE
    20 June 1785 at Crowmarsh Gifford William ALLNAT & Martha BARET
    11 May 1811 at Newnham Murren Richard ALLNATT of Crowmarsh & Sarah COX
    10 July 1824 at Wallingford St P Richard ALLNATT of Crowmarsh, widower & Mary Ann BLISSETT

Janet

Loretta Headley

Thanks to everyone for their help. I managed to get hold of the Tetsworth registers and cannot find any trace of James Hollis Allnatt or James Hollis or James Allnatt - I went back to the census info and he is consistently recorded as being born in Crowmarsh Gifford and there is no trace of his birth on that register. Any other ideas?

Loretta

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta Headley View Post
    I managed to get hold of the Tetsworth registers and cannot find any trace of James Hollis Allnatt or James Hollis or James Allnatt
    Have you considered these ...

name: James Hollis Or Steel
    baptism/christening date: 03 Aug 1788
    baptism/christening place: CROWMARSH GIFFORD,OXFORD,ENGLAND
    father's name: Hollis
    mother's name: Susanna Steel
    (Source Family Search)

Possibly the mother ...

name: Susanna Alnat Or Steel
    baptism/christening date: 09 Oct 1762
    baptism/christening place: CROWMARSH GIFFORD,OXFORD,ENGLAND
    mother's name: Sarah Alnat
    (Source Family Search)

janbooth

This may (or may not) clarify matters (source Oxfordshire FHS Marriage Index):

20 June 1768 at Crowmarsh Gifford Sarah ALNATT married William ELFRED of Newnham Murr
    8 January 1787 at Crowmarsh Gifford Sarah ALNATT married John STEEL of Newnham Murr

I wonder if Susannah's mother finally married her father in 1787?

There is also a marriage at Crowmarsh Gifford on 15 February 1806 of a Susannah STEELE & a James WOODLEY which could be relevant.

Janet