Thread: HARBICH

Brock

Question HARBICH

I have ancestor who married in Dodderhill in Worcestershire in 1777 & his bride's name was Elizabeth Harbich.
    I have tried to look into the Harbich surname in this area to find out more about the family but have had no luck. If anyone can enlighten me at all with any information on this surname & where Elizabeth Harbich & her family may have hailed from I would be most interested please as I would like to learn more about the family roots for the Harbich family.

Thank you.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I have moved this thread from the Surname Interests forum (where threads are automatically closed) to the Worcestershire forum, so that members can respond.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock View Post
    I have ancestor who married in Dodderhill in Worcestershire in 1777 & his bride's name was Elizabeth Harbich.
    Does the above reference come from the IGI, the marriage of Thomas PALMER and Elizabeth HARBICH on 8 March 1777? If so, please note that it's a member-submitted entry, not necessarily extracted from the parish register. So it needs to be treated with caution.

The new FamilySearch site has the same marriage on 8 March 1777, with the bride's name as Elizabeth HARBIDGE. They say the marriage was in Stafford, which in LDS-language probably means Staffordshire. The source is Film 291643, which the LDS catalogue shows as the Bishops Transcripts for the Diocese of Worcester. This same film apparently also includes records relating to some Staffordshire parishes, so there is obviously room for confusion here.

You will probably want to get the Worcestershire Record Office to send you a printout of the original entry for the marriage of Thomas PALMER and Elizabeth in the Dodderhill register (if indeed it can be found there). That should enable you both to confirm the location of the marriage and to check the spelling of Elizabeth's surname.

www.
    worcestershire.gov.uk/cms/community-and-living/records/record-office-shop/ordering-microfilm-copies.aspx

Judging by the census indexes, the name HARBIDGE is certainly found in this area.

Brock

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    Does the above reference come from the IGI, the marriage of Thomas PALMER and Elizabeth HARBICH on 8 March 1777? If so, please note that it's a member-submitted entry, not necessarily extracted from the parish register. So it needs to be treated with caution.

The new FamilySearch site has the same marriage on 8 March 1777, with the bride's name as Elizabeth HARBIDGE. They say the marriage was in Stafford, which in LDS-language probably means Staffordshire. The source is Film 291643, which the LDS catalogue shows as the Bishops Transcripts for the Diocese of Worcester. This same film apparently also includes records relating to some Staffordshire parishes, so there is obviously room for confusion here.

You will probably want to get the Worcestershire Record Office to send you a printout of the original entry for the marriage of Thomas PALMER and Elizabeth in the Dodderhill register (if indeed it can be found there). That should enable you both to confirm the location of the marriage and to check the spelling of Elizabeth's surname.

www.
    worcestershire.gov.uk/cms/community-and-living/records/record-office-shop/ordering-microfilm-copies.aspx

Judging by the census indexes, the name HARBIDGE is certainly found in this area.
    Many thanks for your wonderfully informed reply. I had gathered this information from another source too but I am now suspicious that perhaps the other researcher may have just gleaned their info from the IGI site. I had checked the IGI site myself but had only thought to look at the old original site. I had noted that the entry had been member submitted but as it gave a full actual date rather than the usual "about 1777" I thought that it stood a good chance that the entry did actually exist as I thought that the person must have found an entry to be able to enter the actual date of 8th March 1777.
    What you explained about the film of the BT's contaioning areas for Staffordshire too was quite fascinating & rather puzzling too. I am not au fait with the IGI site enough to understand how you came to be able to look into this & make this discovery but thank you for informing me of it. The other record which you found is most interesting to know of too ~ thank you. As I am unable to travel to Worcester to check out the records for myself I shall most definitely send off for the parish register copy as you suggested.
    Many thanks for your invaluable help which has been much appreciated.

Glad to be able to help a bit.

I am not au fait with the IGI site enough to understand how you came to be able to look into this & make this discovery
    The film number 291643 that I referred to comes not from the old IGI site, but from the entry on the new FamilySearch site.

Going back to the old site and entering that source film number into the LDS library catalogue (using Film/Fiche Search) tells you that the film relates to the Bishop's transcripts for the Diocese of Worcester, 1612-1880. Click the blue link to see an outline of the contents, and Stafford[shire] church records is given as a subject tag below. You can then click View Film Notes (top right) for more detail.

What you explained about the film of the BT's contaioning areas for Staffordshire too was quite fascinating & rather puzzling too.
    I'm puzzled too. But I wonder if some of the Worcestershire deaneries originally included parishes that are now in Staffordshire? I'm not familiar enough with the area to know, and I haven't looked into it. Other members may know more.

Brock

Kerrywood, thank you so much for that explanation which I am sure will help me in the future for further usage of the IGI site.

Ladygene

Hi I believe this name is Harbach, I have Harbach's from Bromsgrove Thomas Harbach 1790 Married a Susanna Bourne.