Colin Moretti

Default GALLARD of Greens Norton

There's a letter in The National Archives concerning arson attacks in December 1835 (HO 64/5/125) which includes reference to
    ... the total loss of farm premises in the occupancy of Richard Gallard of Greens Norton
    Does anyone know anything about these attacks and specifically about that on Gallard's farm?

More generally, is anyone interested in this family and Richard's ancestors in Grafton Regis?

Many thanks

Colin

southistle

According to the Northamptonshire Baptism Indec 1813-1843 cd

Richard son of Richard (druggist and grocer) and Sarah GALLARD was baptised 18th March 1815 at Towcester

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Moretti View Post
    Does anyone know anything about these attacks and specifically about that on Gallard's farm?
    I found this in Jackson's Oxford Journal, Saturday, November 26, 1836 – story originated from the Northampton Herald.

“On Monday some miscreant, yet undiscovered, set fire to a large barn in the occupation of Mr. Wm Johnson, of Greens Norton, Northamptonshire, which contained a quantity of corn, straw, potatoes, new cart, and two fine cows, all of which were completely consumed – no portion of property insured.”

Source: British Library 19th Century newspapers

I can't trace any follow up to this story in the newspapers but there may be more information in the Northampton Herald.

Edit: I've only just noticed that this is 12 months after the original attack - it's rather a coincidence isn't it?

Hollytree

Arson in the countryside at this time was possibly protest against the changing way of life......there's a bit about this sort of trouble https://https://www.historyhome.co.uk/...life/swing.htm which might put some flesh on the story

Anne

Colin Moretti

Thanks everyone for that information, much appreciated.

Further contributions welcomed.

Colin