freddie999

Default Carlisle Burial records

I will get chance to visit Carlisle, this August, I am hoping I might get a chance to visit the graves of my ancestors. Can anyone suggest where I can search on-line for the location of thier graves? Thanks

Reputation beyond repute

Can anyone suggest where I can search on-line for the location of their graves?
    Shouldn't think there's much online although you could try the National Burial Index. In general, depending on the date, try...

• The relevant local authority cemeteries department. You will need death certificates.
    • Parish burial registers
    • Published MIs

Coromandel

There's an index to '24,000 names recorded on gravestones in Carlisle's main cemetery at Richardson Street since 1855, and Stanwix cemetery on Kingstown Road, Carlisle' here:

https://www.
    carlisleshistory.co.uk/page48.htm

It's important to remember, though, that many people have no surviving headstone to mark their resting place. A register of burials (whether it be for churchyard or public cemetery) will be much more comprehensive than a list of monumental inscriptions.

freddie999

Default Cumberland contribution to Nat. burials d/b

I had looked at the National burial database a couple of years, without success, and was aware that the some one hadn't supplied the required data, has this changed? I am visiting a family history centre next week, which I know will have a copy of the National burial database. Does anyone know if Cumberland data has been added? Even more frustratingly, I tried out Find my Past Parish Records database. A map of the UK shows that Cumberland has few records. I tried to do searches on surnames, I got success with one name a list all based in the parish Milom! Is there a problem getting burials information for these database, for Cumberland?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by freddie999 View Post
    I am visiting a family history centre next week, which I know will have a copy of the National burial database. Does anyone know if Cumberland data has been added?
    For details of the coverage of the National Burial Index (editions 1 to 3) per county and parish, including Cumberland, have a look at this site...

www.
    ffhs.org.uk/projects/nbi/nbi-coverage.php

freddie999

I got to this research centre to check out the NBI, to find where my rellies were buried in Carlisle. I have concentrated my research on my family in recent times (as I have no-one alive to tell me about my ancestors.) So I was looking for burialsin the 1900's, though I had a couple of ones in the 1800's; nothing. I did a search just on surname, and found very little. I had ancestors in Westmoreland, and Lincolnshire, I thought I would double-check if they were on the database - nothing!! I am begining to wonder whether my ancesters didn't bother to bury their dead, or just prop them up in the coal shed!!! Where are they?

During my visit to Carlisle in August, I wont be exploring cementaries in the sun and fresh air, rather I will continue my research in dusty, ill-lit reading rooms!!

Happy days!!

Best wishes