freddie999

Default Parish records--What Parish?

I finally made it to Carlisle!! The resources at the Lanes library are excellent: electoral rolls, parish records, BDM on fiche and newspapers. I've got one day left, not sure if I need to go to the new archives centre!!

I have hit a problem, and need advice. I have a birth certificate which states 'sub-district' of St Marys. The mother lived in Duke street. I have search the parish record film here in the library, the child was born 1896, I looked at the year range 1895-1905 just to be cover delays. Nothing found. In these registers there were no baptism from parents with a Duke Street address. perhaps looking at St Mary's was a waste of time? Can anyone please advise me which registers I should be looking at?

Thanks

Coromandel

An old O.S. map of Carlisle shows that Trinity Church isn't far from Duke Street. An old history of Carlisle on Google Books says that it was a chapel of ease to St Mary's. It may have separate registers though, so it would be well worth trying to track these down.

I'd also investigate what non-conformist chapels there were (Kelly's directory etc. should tell you this) and whether their records have survived.

Reputation beyond repute

You could find out for yourself by looking at a census return for Duke Street in the 1891 census and reading off the ecclesiastical district (Holy Trinity).

You already have proof of birth so what are you trying to achieve? There's no guarantee that the children were baptised in the C of E or even anywhere. In any case some non-conformist denominations weren't into infant baptism.