Thread: Lookup please

CanadianCousin

Default Lookup please

I generally don't ask for lookups for on Ancestry or FMP (if I want to find something I either buy PPV credits or take out a one month subscription), but in this case I'm not sure if there's likely to be enough information to justify the cost. I see that Ancestry UK has recently added some Railway employment records and wondered if SKS would be kind enough to take a look at them for me. I know from the 1901 and 1911 censuses that my grandfather's half-brother, Bertram Joseph Benton (b. 1885), worked as a booking agent for the GWR. I'd be interested in knowing if his name appears in any of the records and if so, whether there's any information beyond what I've already mentioned (i.e., his DOB, company, and job title). For example, how long did he work for the railway, where was he posted, did he receive any promotions, etc...? Thanks very much in advance -

Tim

P.S. I'm going to bed now (it's just after 1:00 AM where I am), so won't be able to respond to any posts here for a few hours.

Kevin Garrad

Name: Bertram Joseph Benton
    Date of Birth: 17th February 1885
    Date Entered Service & Age: 10th July 1890 age 15
    Station: Newton Abbott
    Permanently appointed: 13th August 1903

There is also mention of salary.

CanadianCousin

Default Bedankt!

Thanks so much Kevin, that's really appreciated. I'm not surprised to see Bert in Newton Abbot, as that's where he was living at the time of the 1901 census, along with his mother & stepfather (my greatgrandparents), sister, and half-siblings. In 1911, he and his wife and son were listed as visitors at a residence in Birmingham - his son was born the previous year in Newton, so presumably Bert was still there in 1910 (his wife was from Oxfordshire, so Devon wasn't her home territory). According to my father's notes, Bert worked for the railway in London later in life (whether GWR or another, I don't know), but I haven't been able to confirm if that's true or not.

I probably won't subscribe just for this record (hopefully they have images, not just transcriptions), but I'll put it on my Ancestry wish list for the next time I take out a subscription with them (sadly, I don't think we have the library edition here in Newfoundland).

Thanks again!

Tim