AussieJen

Default Introduce yourself

Hi Brits and genealogists alike,
    I hope i am doing this correctly.My name is Jen i am from Melbourne Australia i have been an amateur genealogist for 8 months now and thankgod i am not going it alone my sister is also on the quest to find out about our mother's side of the family.
    Our search is necessary due to our grandfather Maurice Cooper and his lack of willingness to talk about his past. He died in 1989 i was only 11 so we have only had what he DID tell our mother however we thought his story to be shady to the fault of mum she speculated that he was a stoy-away when he came to Australia.
    During our research we have discovered that he was infact a child migrant brought here in 1952 to be a farmhand by The Salvation Army.The national archives of Australia gave us this information to my sister as well as his military record which was quite a surprise as my mother hadn't ever heard of this.
    I brought a copy of his birth certificate which proved a disappointment as well a surprise; as my grandfather told my mother his mother's name was Elizabeth Margaret however it was not.He also told her he was adopted and we have not broke any ground there yet and i doubt we ever will.
    So i am here due to the birth certificate information only including my great grand mothers name which is common and address.And also a photo i found online. If only during that time more information was recorded Cheers Jen

LittleSpark

Hi Jen and welcome to BG.
    You'll find us all a very friendly lot, always willing to help others out with any queries you have and especially any brickwalls which our 'experts' love to tackle.

Good luck to you and your sister in your research.

Sheila

AussieJen

Thankyou for the warm welcome

valspall

Hi Jen & welcome!

Jeuel

If your grandfather was adopted, he might have changed his name. How sure are you that you have the right birth cert? Perhaps Elizabeth Margaret was his adoptive mother's name?