Mallyjam

Default marble and portland mason

I have an ancestor so described.

Realize someone employed in this occupation back in the 1800s in Devon would most likely be carving monuments for cemeteries. Just interested to know what portland is. Can't find mention of it anywhere in relation to the occupation of mason that's all.

And does anyone know more about it. Interested to know where all the marble and so on came from. Thanks.

terrysfamily

Portland refers to Porland Stone. see;

https://
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_stone

Mallyjam

Thanks for the link Terry. Just had a lesson in geography lol. Hadn't a clue. Such a history. Can't believe I've never looked up Chesil Beach either after reading Ian McEwan's novel.

And all that stone taken from there to rebuild London after the Great Fire. Must have been a massive task just getting it there. Would love to read more about it all.

Many thanks. Glad I asked because it was an eye opener for me.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Mallyjam View Post
    Glad I asked because it was an eye opener for me.
    I'm glad you asked too, Mallyjam, as I've had an interesting time looking for answers. You never know where BG queries will lead!

Here's a geologist's account of Portland quarries:

https://www.
    soton.ac.uk/~imw/Portland-Quarries.htm

with some great photographs. It made me wonder how the huge blocks were lifted and transported in the past.

This site (based on the extensive archives of a Sussex stonemasonry business) provides some answers:

https://www.
    rootschat.com/history/hastings/content/view/78/29/

Mallyjam

It's fascinating - Portland and Chesil Beach are on my agenda if I ever go to England. Some of those photos of the quarry and Chesil Beach are so wonderful. How do they keep the sea spray out of their houses there lol. And the storms must really roar over that village. I think it's Chiswell is it.

"Twern't a sea - not a bit of it -
    twer the great sea hisself rose up level like
    and come on right over the ridge and all,
    like nothing in this world"

I've saved the links - thanks, Coromandel. I'm absolutely blown over by it all.

Peter Minter

Good Evening Mallyjam,
    It's very interesting to hear you saying such nice comments about my ''Home Abode''....
    I spent many years living on Portland overlooking Chesil Beach,yes a truely wonderful place to live.
    Last autumn i moved across the water Ferrybridge,which is also adjacent Chesil Beach.
    It can get very rough,stormy during the winter monthes,when locals jokeingly say ''my it was just a breeze''
    Despite new Sea Defences,the sea normally 'comes over' or 'seeps' through Chesil Beach approx every 10 years,causing severe flooding.
    This site on Portland you may find very interesting,helpful!

www.
    geoffkirby.co.uk/portland
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 04-08-2011 at 11:17 PM. Reason: fixed link

Mallyjam

Hi Peter,

I was interested in fact that I've already found you link LOL Was particularly interested in the photo of the masons and the mason's shop of course but all the photos are interesting. Discovered Rufus Castle built by a son of William the Conqueror - even found an old drawing of the original castle and something about a licence to crenallate back in the 11 century.

Wondering why they are turning the quarry into a sculpture park when it's just so interesting as it is but I might have the wrong impression of what it will become.

Is that story about the wave washing people out of the pub true LOL

Mallyjam

So on another note - this mason of mine also used marble and there's no mention of marble in the Portland quarries. Hmm. so another search led me in a roundabout way to the Isle of Purbeck.

It's not all that far from Portland and Purbeck marble is famous. So there you go - 'another island' to explore LOL

Peter Minter

Hello mallyjam,
    In answer to some of your questons about Portland......The Sculpture Park has been built for some years now.Its quiet a large tourist attraction,not spoiling the relative beauty & ambiance to Tout Quarry,with Nature trails etc.
    I think the statement 'People were washed out the pub',might be a little blown up but many were rescued by boat from upstairs bedrooms due to rising water......
    The Purbeck Quarries still exist,mainly on the Coastal areas West of Swanage

Mallyjam

Peter you won't believe this but I reported all this to my mother whose ancestor this was and she happened to open a book by Anya Seton in which an immigrant sailing for the New World in 1600s describes her last view of English shores which happened to be Portland and the crenallated castle around which she used to play.

I wonder if I might ask if you or anyone here knows exactly how these masons organized their work. I have seen an image of a 'mason shop' in which it was obvious that a group of masons were and hard at work on their individual tasks. I am just wondering how the stone was transported to the shop - whether it was transported by the masons themselves or delivered - that kind of thing. Or someone might be able to direct me to a reading source.

Thanks.