Colin Rowledge

Default Weymouth Co-Operative Service

Is anyone familiar with this organization? Googling doesn't produce anything.

The reason is that they were noted in an obituary as being able to provide information on the deceased and for enquiries to be sent to them. This was in March 1983. Possibly they also handled another death - her brother - in 1977

Thanks

Richard1955

www.
    co-operative.coop/funeralcare/Branch-search-results/?lt=50.6087936&ln=-2.4541462&add=Weymouth

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1955 View Post
    www.
    co-operative.coop/funeralcare/Branch-search-results/?lt=50.6087936&ln=-2.4541462&add=Weymouth
    Thank you Richard.

I have also located a website for the Weymouth Crematorium where my Grand Aunt was cremated in 1983. If this is the only crematorium in Weymouth, then it most definitely where her brother was cremated in 1977. I have contacted them and at present I am awaiting a response.

Does anyone have an idea of what the charges would be for such a service in the late 70's and early 80's?

Thanks

malcolm99

Have a look here:
    https://
    archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GLAMORGAN/2005-07/1122589790

This is the cost of a Co-op funeral in 1970 (£67-£75)

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post
    Have a look here:
    https://
    archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GLAMORGAN/2005-07/1122589790

This is the cost of a Co-op funeral in 1970 (£67-£75)
    Thank you Malcolm 99.

Quite different from what the costs are today - in Canada, anyway.

malcolm99

I see that in 1985 the estimate of a "reasonable" funeral was put at about £500 - although the Government was working on a lower figure:

"I turn to the point raised by the hon. Member towards the end of his speech about covering reasonable funeral costs. The figures that I have before me relate to a cost of about £350, rather than £500, although I do not wish to argue about what is a reasonable figure".

Source: https://
    hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1985/apr/29/death-grant

Colin Rowledge

Have heard from the Weymouth Cooperative Service who handled the funeral/cremation for my Grand Aunt. They confirmed the details of her cremation and the services they provided on her behalf and who provided the instructions. Have also been informed about an obit. notice in the Dorset Echo. The Weymouth Crematorium also provided some additional information on her.

As for my Step-Grandfather, all his arrangements seem to have been handled by his sister. The Weymouth Co-op were not the service she used. She did not place an obit. notice in the local paper. The Crematorium confirms that he was cremated on February 4 1977 and that his ashes were scattered, unwitnessed, in the Garden of Remembrance. They were unable to provide any details as to the names of people/businesses involved other than his sister. It would certainly 'appear' that his sister had a very secretive nature regarding her late brother!!

I wonder why?

Probably I need to find a listsing of funeral directors for 1977 and start beating the bushes to see if any of them that are still in business or have been taken over since then, have any information. Seems a bit of a long-shot, doesn't it but cannot think of any other choices.

Colin

Peter Minter

Colin,
    In addition to our reguler communication I have read your posts on this thread tonight.....
    I will add this to my short list of research for you and get the details of the other 1977 Funeral Directors ,also contact details in Weymouth.
    All these snippets of information will assist you in building a much broader picture of these events & provide more answers!
    I will keep you informed by pm with my progress Colin....

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Minter View Post
    Colin,
    In addition to our reguler communication I have read your posts on this thread tonight.....
    I will add this to my short list of research for you and get the details of the other 1977 Funeral Directors ,also contact details in Weymouth.
    All these snippets of information will assist you in building a much broader picture of these events & provide more answers!
    I will keep you informed by pm with my progress Colin....
    You are providing invaluable assistance, Peter, and I've just sent you a p/m