Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    A fountain of knowledge

GOOD NEWS! FOR MILITARY PURPOSES MY RELATIVE ROBERT ALFRED WATSON WAS KNOWN AS ALFRED LEONARD WATSON
    SEE P7 MY POSTINGS 68 & 69

I have now received his records from the MOD which someone has very kindly typed up for me. This shows that, as family
    thought, he was in INDIA post the 1stWW - all I had to go on was a photo of him in military uniform which was added
    to the very first posting here on 19.7.2011 but is no longer there - I don't know how to add it.

He was in India from 14th January 1920 to 30th December 1923 with the 24th Brigade of the RFA. I have been told that
    no record of their service in India was kept but they were a garrison brigade in JUBBULPORE.

If anyone has any knowledge/advice on their time in Jubbulpore India I'd welcome any input. Below is his service.
    I will shortly post an Update on his personal life!

I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed to this long running saga but we got there in the end!

ROBERT ALFRED WATSON born 5.9.1894 Newcastle known as ALFRED LEONARD WATSON during his Army service.

30 April 1915 Enlisted into Army Service Corps as Private 68568

25 September 1916 Discharged medically unfit

23 November 1916 Enlisted into A Company, 3rd Battalion The Northumberland Fusiliers as Private 34124

12 February 1917 Arrived in France

6 March 1917 Joined the 25th Battalion, The Northumberland Fusiliers

14 October 1918 Posted to the United Kingdom

15 October 1918 Arrived at the Depot, The Northumberland Fusiliers

23 November 1918 Posted to 3rd Battalion, The Northumberland Fusiliers

18 December 1918 Compulsory transferred to the Labour Corps as Private 683127 “For the good of the service”

24 April 1919 Discharged to the Army Reserve

9 November 1919 Discharged from the Army Reserve

10 November 1919 Re-enlisted into the Royal Field Artillery as Gunner 293862 later renumbered 1017781

10 January 1920 Joined 501st Reserve Battery RFA, 1st Reserve Brigade RFA [Woolwich]

14 January 1920 Posted to Headquarters, 24th Brigade RFA [Jubbulpore]

18 February 1920 Arrived in India

9 April 1920 Posted to 112th Battery RFA, 24th Brigade RFA [Jubbulpore]

1 November 1922 Posted to 17 Battery RFA, 7 Brigade RFA on re-organisation of batteries and brigades [Jubbulpore]

30 December 1923 Arrived in United Kingdom

31 December 1923 Joined the Depot Brigade RFA [Woolwich]

16 January 1924 Discharged

Hello
    A great result for you.
    This is the link to The National Archives war diaries research guide page. https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...ies-1914-1922/

I suspect you are going to have to try variations of the regiment and battalion in your searches and spend some time browsing to see if there is anything on the RFA in Jubbulpore

Good luck

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks very much CHRISTINA - Yes no doubt lots of reading to do so the link is great - thanks
    best wishes
    Jill

A fountain of knowledge

ROBERT ALFRED WATSON BORN 5.9.1894 NEWCASTLE ON TYNE

HUNT FOR DAUGHTER CAROLE ANN!

In my Update posting p10 No.91, I confirm that a friend found 1stWW military records for my relative
    under name LEONARD ALFRED WATSON - after years of looking he was found in an electoral roll
    with the family.

This raised the problem of what name did he use in his personal life. I was contacted by a member
    (lewisbeels) who has carried out the most unbelievable search and found personal info for my relative!
    I can't thank her enough.

Family knew he had a daughter Carole so now the hunt is on to find her, who is hopefully alive!
    In view of that I am not sure how much info I can give about her but she was/is
    CAROLE ANN WATSON born during the 2ndWW Father Robert Alfred Watson, Mother Edith Mary Watson, formerly Waters. Father's occupation - Inspector of armaments. - I was somewhat surprised at this occupation until
    I realised it's during the War.

In chronological order:

1) First Marriage: 5.9.1925 Camberwell Surrey to MABEL CATHERINE JARVIS
    Married under the name of Lewes Alfred Leonard Watson when he was 31 years old. (Sept Qtr Camberwell Vol 1d p1718
    Occupation stated as 'variety artist'. I would welcome input on him as a Variety Artist ie if professional/bookings etc.
    .I thought perhaps he was in Entertainment during his war years and his military papers confirm he helped the morale of soldiers
    Brother Edwin (Joseph Edwin Watson) was a witness.

2) Divorce
    Alfred Leonard or Robert Alfred or Lewis A L Watson and Mabel Catherine Jarvis were divorced on January 8, 1937, in London, London, when he was 42 years old.
    Mabel Catherine Watson petitioned for divorce from husband Lewis Alfred Leonard Watson. Ref: The National Archives - https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C8086225 TNA Ref: J 77/3707/2959

3) Second Marriage: 1st May 1939 to EDITH MARY WATERS
    freeBMD Married under the name of Lewis A L Watson, age 44 years.Jun Qtr 1939, Marylebone, Volume:1a, Page 1591.

4) DAUGHTER CAROLE ANN WATSON born during the 2ndWW

5) DEATH 2nd November 1947 Lambeth
    Death was registered in his birth name of Robert Alfred Watson. freeBMD Death Ref: Robert A Watson, Dec Qtr 1947, Lambeth, Volume 5c, Page 1181. Aged 53 years. Died 10 Burton House, Brief Street, Lambeth. 53 years. Occupation
    Doorman, London Orchestral Association. Informant Edith M Watson widow 10 Burton House, Brief Street.

6) DEATH Edith Watson: 7th January 1990 10 Burton House, Brief Street, London SE5
    Informant: Jean Oliver 69 Sedleigh Road, London SW18 NB Signed J.G. OLIVIER

As Gilian hints in #94, please note that nothing more can be said about Carole Ann Watson on the public forum as it is possible that she is still alive.

Posting details about potentially living people on the open forum is against the rules in our AUP. Such information is routinely deleted by the Mods, and repeat offenders can be banned by the Admin team.
    Information must be shared via the pm system.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910