Landsailoruk

Default Thorpe Hesley coal miners in WW1

Did the government conscript workers for the coal mines in the first world war, I have an uncle who was born in London and worked in the Thorpe Hesley, Rotherham coal mine in about 1916

Mutley

I believe that tens of thousands of men were sent down the mines rather than the army when conscripted in WW1.
    Mining was a reserved occupation and if he was unable (medical or other reasons) to serve in the forces then mining was an alternative. I don't think it was a choice, more like "if you can't go there you have to come here" but I don't know if that actually counts as conscription.

It was in WW2, the Bevan Boys were conscripted.

I think there is a coal mining museum in Sheffield, they may be able to help.

Mutley

Just a further thought, the library should hold copies of the local newspapers.
    They reported on Military Service Tribunals where conscripted men applied for exemption. Though your uncle may not be mentioned it might give you an idea whether men were sent to the colliery instead of in the forces.
    There may even be a mention of Thorpe Hesley and the men working there.

DorothySandra

I have copied this list of exemptions from "HistoryOnTheNet.com"
    Dock Workers, Miners, Farmers, Scientists, Merchant Seamen, Railway Workers and Utility Workers - Water, Gas, Electricity

As you can see all these occupations were essential to the war effort. Men in these occupations volunteered, and women were conscripted to make good the deficit.