Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Peter Minter

Unhappy Obtaining Death Certificate

Can anyone help me please?

My father passed away 6 weeks ago in Harlow,Essex.He died Intestate and I have been appointed the task of Estate administrator.I need severel copies of his Death Certificate for admin reasons & dont have the original.
    His sister has that & I feel at the moment it would be slightly insensitive asking for the Death Certificate,causing further upset to her etc....
    I do still need at least a copy or copies to progress with his Estate.I am very familier with the useual procedure with Local register offices & the GRO in obtaining a Death Certificate.
    Would someone kindly tell me if it is the same method or different,especially with a recent Death.I am sure its not so straightforward as obtaining one from your ancestors who died 100 years ago?

pattenwalsh

First line of call is to phone the Registrar at the office where the death was registered and they will be able to advise you.

Peter Minter

Thank You pattenwalsh,I guess that would be a sensible thing to do,i was wondering what the general procedure is though as it must be a common problem?

pattenwalsh

Yes I would think that this is a question that they would be asked on a regular basis ,so go ahead and make the enquiry

Coromandel

Sorry to hear your sad news, Peter. What a daunting task you have ahead of you.

The GRO website says "For recent events registered within the last 6 months (for marriages this period is extended to 18 months), applications for certificates should be made to the Register Office in the district where the birth, death or marriage took place."

Apart from that I can't see any mention of the procedure being different from that for obtaining historical certificates.

Contact details for Essex register offices are given here:

https://www.
    essex.gov.uk/Births%20Ceremonies%20Deaths/Births/Pages/Registration-Contacts.aspx

jac65

Hi Peter

It may pay to check whether original certificates are required or not. I'm sure when my mother died a few years ago my sister was required to supply an original certificate on a number of occasions.

Andy

Knowledgeable and helpful

The procedure is the same as for any other certificate from the local registrar's.

I would suggest you visit in person as most offices will provide the certificates while you wait.
    You will need several certified copies for banks, insurance companies, pensions etc and some photocopies for those companies who do not require certified copies.

The Harlow Registrar's is at
    Watergarden Offices
    College Square
    The High
    Harlow, CM20 1AG

Telephone 0845 603 7632

Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Reputation beyond repute

I think you will need to speak to your sister anyway. I believe she will have been given form BD8 which you, as administrator, will have to ensure has been dealt with properly.

Ken_R

Peter. Sorry to hear of your sad news. I have recently been in a similar position where a close relative died. However, in this case a Will was made and I was named Executor.

To remove any confusion regarding copies, what you require are 'duplicate originals'. Some organisations will accept photo copies but not all. Perhaps the easiest Dept. to deal with was the Land Registry where Title simply passed to the surviving spouse.

Once you have a Death Certificate you can apply to the Court for a Grant of Probate. The forms are available on-line to be filled in and printed off. Similarly with the Inland Revenue form which also must go with the application for Probate.

Once you have been granted Probate, and again here I would suggest getting an extra two or three copies at the time of application, then you can go to a Bank and open an Executer's account. I found it easier to go with the Bank where I knew funds were held rather to my own Bank.

I'm still working my way through the process but, if you have any other questions................

Additionally I did notice a thread on Money Saving Expert relating to Probate which may also be useful.

Ken.

Peter Minter

Thank You too everyone who offered their condolences & Best Wishes.....Also those of you who offered advice & help when its very much needed! Well Done & Thank You Everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast