Thread: bar dresser?

Joel

Default bar dresser?

Hi all,

Been looking through family documents and on my parent's marriage certificate, it lists my maternal grandfather as being a 'bar dresser'... does anyone know what this is? I believe it has something to do with the iron and steel industry but would just like to know exactly what it is.

Also i have searched and found nothing but if this has been covered then i apologise.

cheers

I believe that a Bar Dresser was the man who prepared the bars of steel for them to go into the furnace and then to the rolling mill where they would be rolled into sheets and made into --- things. My husband works in a steelworks and knows a lot about the old occupations so when he comes home from work at 10pm I will ask him.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Joel

ah righto thanks Ladkyis, much appreciated.

It makes sense that this would have been his job as one of the biggest steel furnaces in Europe is just down the road!

Cheers

OK I checked with Mr M and he says that while the bars of steel were no longer used when he began in the steelworks some of the older men that were there when he started told him something of the processes. The molton steel was poured into moulds that could be up to 20 feet long. Sometimes they needed to be cut. That's what the bar dresser would do. Also sometimes the bars needed straightening before going through the mill and this was a part of the job too.
    Hope this helps
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Joel

cheers Ladkyis... sounds like an interesting job! I'll have to try and find out more!

Thanks, and thank your husband for me aswell please