Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Auntyjan

Default Hello from Western Australia

I am new to this site, but have been interested in family history for some years. I tend to go in fits and starts. I get almost obsessed, then just when it threatens to take over my life, I drop it altogether for a while...you know how it is. As an Australian, I have ancestors from a number of areasorset, Derbyshire, Nottingham, Durham, Scotland and Sweden. Already this site has enabled me to make contact with a distant Australian cousin, researching one family in common. In fact that's why I joined. Still finding my way around...I'm a bit of a technophobe...took me a week just to figure out how to join...lol...and I still can't work out how to access my relative's family tree!

Edit: if you put a colon: followed by a capital D for Dorset...you get a smiley face...and it only took me ten minutes to figure out how the cute smiley got there(and I thought I was having another blonde/senior moment!)

Procat

Hi Auntyjan and welcome to Brit-Gen forum.

I have given your introductory post a thread of it's own rather than leaving it tacked on to another persons thread.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Rightly so Procat, hi Auntyjan, welcome to the good times ahead.

and I still can't work out how to access my relative's family tree!
    Have you asked?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Welcome Auntyjan
    You will do well here, I am sure. I get tied up in so many knots, some times I think I could teach the scouts but some lovely people on this site keep unravelling me. I am so confused, sometimes when I read the posts I think great that is my family. I know them. Then I realise its only that I have read through the posts before they are so familiar! Seriously though I am very chuffed with all success I have had here.
    I look forward to your posts.
    ELMA

Auntyjan

Thankyou for moving me to my own thread and for the welcomes. So far I have no idea how to do anything here as you can probably tell. For instance, how to post a query. 1. Introductions...well I messed that up nicely by attaching my message to somebody else's. 2. Surname interests 3. If you know where your family comes from post a comment there. Post a comment there? What does that mean? In England? I am hoping to go there one day, but telling someone to post a query 'there' means nothing to me.
    Help!

Mutley

Welcome to the forum Auntyjan.
    With a little help from your friends you have managed to get to the introduce yourself place and say hello.
    You have also managed to click the 'Reply to Thread' button and answer so that is the first steps out of the way.

If you click your mouse on this blue link. https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ide-to-posting
    it will take you to a screen that will help explain the next steps and what to do. Once there you will find blue links that you can click to take you to
    Surname Interests
    General Queries
    Brickwalls

'Post' means write a message, and your message will be called 'a post'. Lots of messages/posts on one subject is called a 'thread'. So you have already managed to 'post' to this 'thread'.

Don't worry if you post/write your message in the wrong place, a moderator will soon move it for you.

Just have some fun writing a few messages and see what happens.

Auntyjan

Default same confusion

That's the page I was following...it says "If you know where your family is from, post query there"...where is there? Are you saying I should post under general queries? The page seemed to indicate that that was for people who didn't know which country their ancestor was from.

robert

hello auntyjan
    you are good hands with the team, without them I would not have got as far as I did
    hope your journey is pleasant
    cousin robert

Nannas

Hi AuntyJan,
    Don't worry about being lost for the first while...happens to all of us.
    Good to see more Aussies in here.
    I work with computers and still don't know how to do smiley faces or anything (so you are one up on me already)

Nannas

Coromandel

Hello Auntyjan and welcome to the forum

There's a long list on this page of the various subforums. Scroll down below the page to explore them. There are many for different geographical areas: look under 'England' and all the counties are listed there alphabetically. Clicking any of the county names will take you to the relevant subforum, where you can start a new thread. Then there are all sort of other thematic sub-forums too. If you can't see one that fits the nature of your query, just use the general queries section.

Wherever you put your messages, people will spot them, because there's a very handy section called
    Today's Posts (see the link on the menu bar at the top of the page, just under the grass!). It shows the latest messages, whichever subforum they're on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast