Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ponton View Post
    her mother Caroline Ponton-(Nee Wigmore) died in Berwick in 1896
    There's an entry for Caroline Ponton (died 1896) in the National Probate Calendar on Ancestry. Unfortunately
    I don't have access to Ancestry right now, so I can't check whether this is a will or just a grant of administration.
    If she did leave a will, it may tell you more about Fanny.

pennydog

This Caroline Ponton, a widow, died 4/11/1896 - probate London 19/12 to Arthur Ponton Stationer, effects £198 10/-. No mention of Fanny.

Coromandel

This doesn't address the question of what happened to Fanny, but is a sad episode in the Ponton family history:

Inscription on a tablet on the south wall of Christ Church, Warminster:

'Sacred to the memory of Lucy[?]*, the beloved wife of Walter Laidlaw Pearce, Rajpootana (State) Railway, India, and fifth daughter of the late Aaron Ponton, of Warminster, who died at sea, between Bombay and Aden, Mar. 16, 1873, on board the P. and O. Steamship Indus, on her way to England, aged 29.'
    "It is not exile - rest on high;
    It is not sadness - peace from strife;
    To fall asleep is not to die -
    To dwell with Christ is better life."

From an 1879 history of Warminster, online at

https://www.
    archive.org/stream/historywarminst00danigoog/historywarminst00danigoog_djvu.txt

*The OCR'd text has 'Lucr': I have assumed this should be Lucy.

Loves to help with queries

Wow,Coromandel thats brilliant. I have been looking for lucy Ponton also. thanks so much

Coromandel

I think the date of Lucy's death on the memorial (or on the OCR'd version of it!) may be wrong, because Lucy didn't marry until 1874 according to the FIBIS database
    at
    https://
    search.fibis.org/frontis/bin/aps_person_search.php

The database has this transcript of a marriage announcement from The Times of India, 22 May 1874:

'May 16th at Calcutta by the Rev AO Hardy WL Pearce esq Rajpootana State Railway to Lucy fifth daughter of the late Mr A Ponton Warminster Wilts'

Maybe the date on the memorial is 1878 not 1873?

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post

*The OCR'd text has 'Lucr': I have assumed this should be Lucy.
    This is a clearer version: https://www.
    archive.org/stream/historywarminst00danigoog#page/n250/mode/2up

Loves to help with queries

Quote Originally Posted by pennydog View Post
    This Caroline Ponton, a widow, died 4/11/1896 - probate London 19/12 to Arthur Ponton Stationer, effects £198 10/-. No mention of Fanny.
    Yes this all ties in nicely. I have an arthur Ponton,son of aaron and Caroline,living in London and a printer. thanks for your help

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    'Sacred to the memory of Lucy[?]*, the beloved wife of Walter Laidlaw Pearce, Rajpootana (State) Railway, India, and fifth daughter of the late Aaron Ponton, of Warminster, who died at sea, between Bombay and Aden, Mar. 16, 1873, on board the P. and O. Steamship Indus, on her way to England, aged 29.'
    Unfortunately she doesn't appear in FMP's "British nationals died at sea 1854-1890" nor in their "British nationals married overseas 1818-2005 "

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12