Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Alby65 View Post
    Just found a Henry O'Neil in 1800 living on Lawn Street..wonder if he is a brother to Torrance?!?!
    I can't see that Henry, but there is a Henry Oneil age 27 labourer b Ireland in Lawn St in 1841 with Elisabeth 25, b not in county, Margaret 3, Alexander 1 ( piece 1841/559 folio 24 p18 copyright GRO Scotland)

Am not sure but that family is possibly in Stranraer in 1851 . Henry o'Neal widower 39 b Ireland, Margaret 12 b Paisley, John 8 b Portpatrick, Elizabeth 4 b Stranraer (piece 1851/891 Folio 877 p24 Schedule 110 copyright GRO Scotland)

But who knows if related to your family!

Loves to help with queries

I thought maybe since they were on the same street, but who knows. Do you know where the best place is to get a copy of birth records for Ireland?

Jan1954

Do you know where the best place is to get a copy of birth records for Ireland?
    Have a read of the stickies at the top of the Ireland Forum.

Will do...Thanks!

Hi again

As you will now have seen you need quite a bit to go on to have success with Irish records – and a bit of luck too.

It is a pity that Torrance didn’t live until 1855 when civil registration started in Scotland as his death cert might give parents’ names.

I think your best source of information will be from the catholic records at St Mirins . You could then have sight of the various O’Neil families baptising/marrying and see if there are clues to any relationships.

It is a pity that you are not in Scotland as you could then view them at the Scottish Catholic Archives.
    They are online at Scotlands People but as you have to pay to view each record it could be very expensive. That said you can still find out a great deal by using the free index. For example, in baptisms put in O’Neil for surname and in surname option choose surnames that begin with – so that will cover O’Neill as well. Leave forename blank to start with. Choose dates between 1816 and 1830 to start with then adjust. Try various options of Torrance as father’s nameTerrence/ Terence or try mother only, Agnes. When you get hits you can try adding forenames a letter at a time using common names.
    For baptisms there seem to be 2 matches for one baptism.

So far I can see -
    1816 a Charles, mother Agnes, can’t work out father
    1819 James mother Agnes, father? Not Torrance/Terence etc
    1820 Agnes fatherTorrence O’Neil mother Bridget
    1820 William fatherTerrence O’Neil mother Agnes
    1821 Nile (?) fatherTerence O’Neil mother Agnes
    1821 Neil – mother Agnes, father ? not Torrance etc
    1822 Henry father Terrence mother ? not Agnes
    1822 Bridgit father Terence, mother ?, not Agnes
    1825 John father Terrence, mother Agnes
    So you can see if any of these seem worth paying money to view. I think there will be godparents’ names but not addresses, so not a lot of information.

Similarly you can play about with the marriages, deaths and other events. If you can find any clue to link the Henry who was in Lawn St in 1841 to Torrance that could be helpful.

But it may be impossible to find the family in Ireland.

Thank you so much...you really have taught me a lot about this searching. Thanks to you I found my mother's side of the family quite a bit as well as I'm working on my husband's side now and the tips you gave are very helpful. I'll be going to England next August (for the olympics and visiting my husband's family) and am going to make a side trip to Paisley Scotland as well as Ireland. Funny, I've been to Ireland twice but never had the information I have now. In the meantime, I will continue searching...I am now more determined than ever to find the missing link of the O'Neill's in Ireland. Again, thank you and will let you know what I find!

Ok, still working out if Henry is related or not. DId find out that Isaac, Charles & Leo (as well as the girls) of James b. 1843 and Susan b. 1856 never married; apparently they all became priests/nuns (according to ancestry link). Now still working on finding Alexander O'Neill b. 1897 d. 1965 married to Marion Hyndman b. 1893 d. 1980. Found their marriage of 1922 and him living Canal Street..now trying to see if they had any children.

Ok, still working out if Henry is related or not. DId find out that Isaac, Charles & Leo (as well as the girls) of James b. 1843 and Susan b. 1856 never married; apparently they all became priests/nuns (according to ancestry link). Now still working on finding Alexander O'Neill b. 1897 d. 1965 married to Marion Hyndman b. 1893 d. 1980. Found their marriage of 1922 and him living Canal Street..now trying to see if they had any children.
    There were such a lot of O'neills born in Paisley from 1922 - 1930 so too expensive to make guesses on certificates. Unfortunately SP catholic baptisms are only pre 1911. I don't know if contacting St Mirins directly might be possible. You do have a lot of family connections there!

Alternatively you could try contacting the cemetery (probably Woodside as other family were buried there. Owned by Paisley Cemetery Company. The crematorium is also there.) If no luck then try the other cemetery, Hawkhead) They should have burial records which may mention family.

If you have accurate death dates you could try finding death notice in Paisley Daily Express (though I don't think that is online for those dates so could be difficult)

As suggested before Marion's death cert might possibly have a family member as informant. But no guarantee.

That's all I can think of!

Greta idea...I will try St. Mirin's first and move on from there! To date I have spent way too much on this research but it in the end it is all worth it! Will look for Marion and hope that leads somewhere also. I'm so glad I found this forum, you have all help me so much!

Just found a great site and have I contacted the person leading this site they gave me even more information. Just in case anyone looking for people in Ireland. Don't want to post anything I'm not meant to..so if you wanna know, just email me. They helped me find many grave sites in Ireland.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast