Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    chantreywood

Question Proving a family story about a court case?

How would I go about proving a family story regarding a civil court case in Wales ( probably Caernafonshire) in the late 1930s/early 1940s? The oral information I have suggests that a grandfather sort to protect two of his grandchildren by taking on responsibility for them formally through the courts.

In the case of the youngest it was to protect him from an abusive father and in the other for that boy's older (by 8 years) female cousin it was to protect her from her unmarried mother offering her for private adoption.

The story only came to light recently and the court action must have been successful as both children grew up together in their grandparents household. Indeed so well was this information dealt with (covered up?) the boy was 14 years old (in 1950) before he realised the girl he grew up with as his sister was in fact his cousin.

This would be classed as a family matter (Private Law) and these cases are not normally made public. The child themselves may be able to find out under the freedom of information act, but I am not sure on this.

chantreywood

Thanks Neil,
    I wasn't sure quite which branch of law it would come under and whether it was the same in Wales as in England. I did try to do some searching in the local archives some years ago but to no avail. As for the children, one is now in her 80s with dementia and the other in his 70s so I'm not sure they would want to or could pursue it. I just wanted to try to confirm the story with some evidence.