Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Well, I found a William who went to the U.S. on the St.Paul in 1896. He was married, gave his age as 22 years and 5 months [which is a little off], but if his brother was still in the U.S. then this appears quite reasonable.

Both boys were miners and if the life was good [as several of my ancestors found it to be] then he could send for Hannah and their son a couple of years later.

Checking it out before I posted would have been the right thing to do. Please disregard the above at present.

Richard1955

Sorry, I meant to say that William doesn't appear on the 1891 census either.
    Passenger lists didn't start till 1890.

FMP has a W.M. Kernick estimated birth 1874 on the St Paul from Southampton to New York
    19th Sept 1896 but it says he is single and a miner. Up to you !
    This might be the one that ended in Australia.

Colin Rowledge

Not quite sure what to make of this right now, but I'll try and explain my findings, as best I can.

Neither Richard John born 1868 nor William Henry born 1870 appear on the 1891 U.K. census.

Both boys were born in Menheniot, Cornwall. A birth registration for Richard John was found [Jan-Mar] but the only registration for 1870 was for a Male Kernick [Apr-Jun] that I believe was later named William Henry. These 2 show with parents in Menheniot in 1871

In the 1881 census both boys with right ages are in Menheniot, working as Railway Labourers to assist their mother who is now a widow.

Richard John, I believe went to the U.S. and arrived on April 7, 1890 on board S.S. "City of Chester". Correct age and he was single and a Miner.

The marriage between William Henry Kernick and Hannah Paynter Williams, is, I believe the correct couple. The marriage took place in Camborne in [Apr-Jun] 1892. I wonder if a record of this is on the Cornwall OPC site?

The W.M. Kernick on FMP is probably the one I found and noted in post #11. I am satisfied that he is not the one that married Hannah.

Looking at Hannah now. She is the St. Paul in 1898 with her son William Arthur aged 4 years and 6 months. She is indicated as a Widow aged 24 years and 6 months. Her passage and her son's passage appear to have been paid by her father who was a U.S. resident and she was going to be his housekeeper. Her son was born [Apr-Jun] 1894 in Lanchester, Durham. Her residence when she left England was in Camborne.

So what happened?

Richard1955

So Hannah's journey to the US is as widow from your findings and married from mine.
    Also seems a bit odd that she came from cambourne and sailed from Liverpool
    when she could have gone from Southampton but perhaps she moved north to be with rellie's
    after her husband died and for the birth of her son.
    Perhaps we should be looking for a mining disaster late 1893

Colin Rowledge

Nothing on the Cornwall OPC site for the marriage in 1892, but I did find baptisms in Menheniot for both Richard John and William Henry. Here follows the details:
    02 April 1868 - Richard John Kernick - Parents: Richard and Ann - Father's occupation: Labourer
    05 June 1870 - William Henry Kernick - Parents: Richard and Anne - Father's occupation: Tailor

As for census records the 1871 census shows Richard's occupation as Formerly Tailor. Cannot find him in the 1861 census, however in 1851 he was a Tailor.

Richard died in 1875

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1955 View Post
    So Hannah's journey to the US is as widow from your findings and married from mine.
    Also seems a bit odd that she came from cambourne and sailed from Liverpool
    when she could have gone from Southampton but perhaps she moved north to be with rellie's
    after her husband died and for the birth of her son.
    Perhaps we should be looking for a mining disaster late 1893
    The transcript on FMP says Married nut the actual passenger list is a bit blurred. On Ancestry it definitely looks like Widow to me.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Looking at Hannah now. She is the St. Paul in 1898 with her son William Arthur aged 4 years and 6 months. She is indicated as a Widow aged 24 years and 6 months. Her passage and her son's passage appear to have been paid by her father who was a U.S. resident and she was going to be his housekeeper. Her son was born [Apr-Jun] 1894 in Lanchester, Durham. Her residence when she left England was in Camborne.

So what happened?
    From FreeBMD, the death of a 28 year old William Henry Kernick was registered in the Redruth district in the third quarter of 1898: could this be your chap?

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    From FreeBMD, the death of a 28 year old William Henry Kernick was registered in the Redruth district in the third quarter of 1898: could this be your chap?
    Thanks Coromandel - that ties in very neatly to what I found on the passenger list.

So it would appear Hannah had their son in Durham, possibly with a relative of hers and then returned to Camborne and stayed until William Henry died. Maybe I'll get his death certificate to find the cause of death.

Then she contacted her father in the U.S. who agreed to pay for the passage and then went back to where her relative was after William died.

That I think ends that story.

Richard1955

Well spotted Coromandel.
    Did you say you can't find Richard in 1861 Colin:
    BERWICK, John Head Widower M 74 1787 Retierd BlacksmithMenheniot. Cornwall
    BERWICK, Jane Daughter Unmarried F 47 1814 Dressmaker Menheniot. Cornwall
    BERWICK, Richard Son Unmarried M 36 1825 Tailor Menheniot. Cornwall
    DUNSTON, Esther Daughter Married F 33 1828 Menheniot. Cornwall
    DUNSTON, John D Grandson Unmarried M 13 1848 Scholar. Menheniot. Cornwall
    RG number: RG09 Piece: 1528 Folio: 7 Page: 9

Registration District: Liskeard. Sub District: 2. Liskeard. Enumeration District: Ecclesiastical Parish: Civil Parish: Menheniot
    Address: Menheniot Village, Menheniot County: Cornwall

Copyright TNA

racing girl

Not that it adds anything, but Cornish Kernick's were definitely in Durham at the time of of William Arthur's birth. I have a Thomas Kernick marrying my relative Margaret Jane Bloomfield in Wingate, Durham in 1887. The only census I have Thomas on, his place of birth is listed as Cornwall, NK, which I take to be Not Known, so the info was probably provided by his wife. Thomas and Margaret had 7 children between 1889 and 1910, all in Wingate which isn't close to Lanchester unfortunately.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast