Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Peter Minter

Default ILLEGITIMATE OR NOT ???

I have a problem with a couple of my Grandmother;s certificates.....So could anyone tell me what approach i can take on this please?

Birth Certificate of Dorothy Lydia Skinner on 26-08-17 (Peckham), shows father unnamed.Mother Alice Skinner.
    Her Marriage certificate in 1958 states her father as Charles Skinner (Deceased) soldier.
    She alway's said she never had or saw a Birth Certificate right to her Death.But she was very adamant, her Father Died before her 1917 Birth,serving in World War 1 as a soldier.I do have some of her photos with a WW1 soldier,looking at his cap badge it looks like Royal Artilliary.However,these photos have ''Rueben Skinner'' written on reverse instead of Charles???
    So can anyone advise me of perhaps the most logical or easier route to take to hopefully find more about her father.Why would no name appear on Birth Certicate,but she names him when marrying?

Mutley

Sadly, many people lied on their marriage certificates often to 'save face' if they were indeed illegitimate.
    Sometimes they just did not know who their father was and gave the name of a family member, uncle or someone they knew as a child.

Have you managed to trace Alice? Where was she in 1911?
    This is a real detective job, search for Charles Skinner and search for Rueben Skinner and find Alice and try to tie something together. This is a difficult one until the next census is released.

Lizzy9

Hello Peter,

Did Dorothy have siblings? Also did she have a stepfather? Any idea when/where her mother was born?

Tell us all you know and we may be able to find some information.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Minter View Post
    Birth Certificate of Dorothy Lydia Skinner on 26-08-17 (Peckham), shows father unnamed.Mother Alice Skinner.
    Peter, what is the exact address on the birth certificate? Could it have been an institution, which might have records? Was Alice herself the informant, or was it someone else?

Mutley

The problem with the Walthamstow fellow is that he was born and lived north of the river.
    I would rather find a family that were Sarf!

I have passed a Southwark Rueben but there is nothing to tie him in. Rueben is not so common but Skinner is very much so.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Minter View Post
    Her Marriage certificate in 1958 states her father as Charles Skinner (Deceased) soldier.

So can anyone advise me of perhaps the most logical or easier route to take to hopefully find more about her father.Why would no name appear on Birth Certicate,but she names him when marrying?
    Hi Peter and welcome to the den of Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot.

Since you have the birth cert. I prseume you have her marriage one. What was her status - "spinster' or 'widow'?

I have a couple of instances where both the maiden and married name was the same - e,g. "Lugg".

Mutley

This family may be worth looking at.

1881 living at Green Lane, Greenwich
    Charles Skinner age 29
    Caroline Lydia Skinner age 29
    Charles G. Skinner age 5
    John Wm. Skinner age 4 born Peckham
    Caroline C. Skinner age 2 born Peckham
    RG11/721/131/21

1891 living at Furley Street, Camberwell
    Caroline Skinner age 38 Widow, born Bermondsey
    Charles Skinner age 15
    John Skinner age 14
    Caroline Skinner age 12
    Richard Skinner age 9
    Frederick Skinner age 7
    Alice Skinner age 4
    Albert Skinner age 2
    Elizabeth Oldrey age 75, mother, born Norfolk
    All kids born Peckham
    RG12/480/22/38

Records Copyright of TN

Peter Minter

Thank You everyone,you have all been so helpfull,giving me some extra research ideas.....The CWG records seem a couple of years short of Dorothy's Birthdate of 26/08/17.The Reuben Skinner (Essex Regiment) Died in august 1915.
    Her mother 'Alice Skinner' was the informant at 17,Cornwell Road,Peckham.My grandmother Dorothy was the only child.
    Sadly i have no other details on her mother Alice Skinner,Birth,Marriage?,Death or census records.....So I think i will need to do some more reseach,Census records included.All your kind help is most welcome & appreciated,so thank you all!

Mutley

Alice with her mum Caroline is easy to find in 1901. They are both living together in 1911 in Peckham, I suggest you buy some credits with FMP if you do not have any.
    Remember, Caroline's middle name is Lydia and this Alice was still living with her mum into her 20s.

I just need to find if this family has a Rueben somewhere in it.

Peter Minter

Thanks mutley,
    Those two census records look very much like my Grandmothers family.Thats her mum 'Alice' (4) in Peckham in 1891,my nans grandmother 'Caroline Lydia' is a widow there to Charles Skinner.
    Well ive learnt tonight my nan had her grandmothers middle name!
    The name of Charles can be seen in the family as well,so that name is popular.Once again,very helpful information!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast