Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default EDWARD CRAWCOUR ALIAS CARTWRIGHT

As a follow up to initial research made on Edward Crawcour son of Isaac Crawcour and Simha Cohen De Lara I have discovered his second 'marriage' to C ( first name unknown at present) Ward. Ward is her married name.
    Edward Crawcour was married first to Margaret Buchanan and they had 2 children: John Isaac and Helen ( Ellen) Semira.
    In the 1851 Census H0107/1869 ( Crown Copyright, care of TNA)
    Edward is living with his first family and step children at 30 Southam way Exeter Devon:
    E C Cartwright Head M 43 proprietor of houses b Middx London
    C I Cartwright wife 51 b Lanac...... ( difficult to decipher)
    John Cartwright son U 16 scholar b Philadelphia America
    Ellen Cartwright dau U 15 scholar b Hull Yorkshire
    Jane Ward dau in law U 23 b Shropshire ( difficult to decipher)
    George Ward son in law U 19 Mechanic b Bengal India
    William Ward son in law U 17 b ? Belaphore India
    George Ward appears in the 1881 and 1891 census as a dentist and William maybe the stockbroker recorded in the 1871 and 1891 census as born Bengal India.

I can find no record on FreeBMD of a marriage by Edward using either Crawcour or Cartwright to anyone named Ward.
    Any help locating his 2nd 'wife' appreciated.
    Phillip

Default EDWARD CRAWCOUR ALIAS CARTWRIGHT

Cemetery Scribes have a photograph of Edward's tombstone ( 1865) and his Hebrew name Joshua b Yitzhak.
    John Isaac Crawcour who was a dentist left a bequest to George Ward his stepbrother in his will 1890. The address for George was 428 Oxford Street which is also that given in the 1891 census.
    George is with his wife Sarah Anne b Birmingham and Jane Ward sister Single 63.
    Phillip

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    In the 1851 Census H0107/1869 ( Crown Copyright, care of TNA)
    Edward is living with his first family and step children at 30 Southam way Exeter Devon:
    E C Cartwright Head M 43 proprietor of houses b Middx London
    C I Cartwright wife 51 b Lanac...... ( difficult to decipher)
    John Cartwright son U 16 scholar b Philadelphia America
    Ellen Cartwright dau U 15 scholar b Hull Yorkshire
    Jane Ward dau in law U 23 b Shropshire ( difficult to decipher)
    George Ward son in law U 19 Mechanic b Bengal India
    William Ward son in law U 17 b ? Belaphore India
    Another possible reading ... in case it offers some alternatives for searching

1851 census (record held by TNA, Crown Copyright)
    HO107/1869 folio 20 pages 6-7
    30 Southernhay, Exeter St David
    E. L. Cartwright Head Mar 43 S.D. Proprietor of Houses
    C. I. Cartwright Wife Mar 51 born Lincolnshire Kirkby on bane ( = Kirkby on Bain ?)
    John Cartwright Son U 16 Scholar born Philadelphia America
    Ellen Cartwright Daur U 15 born Yorkshire Hull
    Jane Ward Daur in Law 23 born Shropshire
    George Ward Son in Law 19 Mechanic born India B(ritish) S(ubject)
    William Ward Son in Law 17 born East Indies B(ritish) S(ubject)
    Charlotte Cheetty? Un 23 born Devon Tiverton

Like you, I can't find a marriage.

Here's a possibility for investigation ... from FamilySearch

Born 16 Feb 1794 Kirkby on Bain
    Catherine Isabella GARNETT
    Father - Anthony, mother - Catherine
    (extracted record, from BTs)

Deaths
    Jun Qtr 1869
    WARD Catherine Isabella age 74
    Kensington vol 1a page 21

National Probate Calendar 1869
    WARD Catherine Isabella 25 June. The Will of Catherine Isabella Ward late of 12 Aldridge Road-villas Westbourne Park in the County of Middlesex Widow deceased who died 31 May 1869 at 12 Aldridge Road-villas aforesaid was proved at the Principal Registry by the oath of William Ward of 1 Clifton-villas Maida Hill in the County aforesaid Stock and Share Broker the Son the sole Executor.
    Effects under £300.

In 1871 there is a William WARD aged 36, Stockbroker, born India, living with wife Ellen and family + servants at 1 Clifton Villas, Paddington.
    RG10-11 folio 15 page 21 (record held by TNA, Crown copyright)

More work needed ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    In 1871 there is a William WARD aged 36, Stockbroker, born India, living with wife Ellen and family + servants at 1 Clifton Villas, Paddington.
    Marriage at St Saviour Paddington (from London parish registers database)
    8 July 1863
    William Ward, full age, bachelor, Gentleman, 1 Clifton Villas, Warwick Road. Father - George Ward, Clergyman
    Ellen Hester Simonds, full age, spinster, 1 Clifton Villas, Warwick Road. Father - John Mount Simonds, Gentleman
    By licence, by Frederick Harford, Minor Canon Westminster
    Witnesses - Alfred Marriott, J. G.(?) Fairhead Lt. Colonel, E. M. Simonds, Jane Mary Simonds
    all parties signed

(I think the two SIMONDS witnesses may be in the WARD household in 1871, see above.)

Morning Post (10 July 1863)
    WARD-SIMONDS. -- On the 8th inst., at St. Saviour's Church, Maida-hill West, by the Rev. Frederick Harford, M.A., minor canon of Westminster, William, youngest son of the late Rev. George Ward, chaplain H.E.I.C.S., Bareilly, to Ellen Hester, eldest daughter of Mr. John Mount Simonds.

from India Office Family History Search
    https://
    indiafamily.bl.uk
    George Ward
    Death
    9 Apr 1840
    Bengal Presidency
    Notes: At Bareilly, the Rev. George Ward, chaplain, aged 45.
    (transcribed by FIBIS from the East India Directory, 1841)

Asiatic Journal and Monthly Miscellany (1840), p. 67
    Deaths
    April 9. At Bareilly, from jungle fever, contracted on his return from his annual visit to Almorah, the Rev. George Ward, chaplain, aged 45.

Now looking for his widow ...

From FamilySearch beta ...

Robert Ward
    Baptised 27 Sep 1826, Little Hereford, Hereford
    father's name: George Ward
    mother's name: Catherine Isabella

Jane Ward
    Baptised 16 Jul 1828, Hope Bagot Shropshire

George Ward
    Born 10 Dec 1831
    Baptised 23 Feb 1832, Berhampore, Bengal, India

William Ward
    Born 11 Nov 1833
    Baptised 14 Nov 1833, Allahabad, Bengal, India

Finally ... a marriage from the George Bell Collection of Northumberland & Durham indexes ...

St Mary, Staindrop, Co. Durham
    6 October 1825
    George WARD
    Catherine Isabella GARNETT

Default CATHERINE WARD-CARTWRIGHT-CRAWCOUR

Brilliant research Kerry! You have done it again. i spotted William Ward in 1871 Census with Elizabeth M Simmonds his aunt and 2 nieces but you have fitted the jigsaw pieces together. Very interesting that Catherine dropped the Cartwright name and never used the Crawcour surname. I have a feeling she and Edward were not married.

Very many thanks for all your work.
    Phillip

If Catherine Isabella GARNETT is the right person (seems likely), she apparently died in 1869 as Catherine Isabella WARD, which would suggest that she and Edward never married.

Given their different backgrounds, that is perhaps not surprising. The Clergy Database (theclergydatabase.org.uk) records Anthony GARNETT as Rector of Kirkby-on-Bain from 1789 until his death on 20 November 1799. It also records the appointment of George Ward MA as Chaplain to the East India Company on 3 May 1831, which fits nicely with the places of birth of his children.

But I do wonder how and where Edward and Catherine Isabella got together? Have you found Edward in 1841 or 1861?

Default EDWARD CRAWCOUR

Margaret Buchanan and Edward Crawcour were married in Edinburgh in 1833. I suspect Edward was in Scotland following up potential business with his brother Charles. This business resulted in them going to America as dentists using the amalgam ( or their version of it) that Barnett Crawcour had developed based on earlier dental treatment. John Isaac Crawcour ( son of Edward and Margaret) was born in Philadelphia in 1833. Why Edward ' married out' of the Jewish faith is unknown. None of the previous Crawcour's had done this at that time based on marriage records.

Margaret died in 1840 and there is a monument to her in Edinburgh.

I can't trace Edward in 1841 nor up to his death. He had left America in 1835. Sometime between 1840-51 he met Catherine. Edward died in 1865.
    I also suspect he was a 'wheeler dealer' because he tried to access his children's bequests. He was a 'dentist' using the alias Cartwright the surname of a very well known dentist plus a property owner.

Interestingly, his brother Charles went to Ireland where his surname was spelt Cracour ( an original early spelling). Charles also married twice outside the Jewish faith. Their brother Solomon alias John Smith was transported twice.
    An interesting set of distant relatives.
    Phillip

Default MARGARET BUCHANAN WIFE OF EDWARD CRAWCOUR

The tombstone photograph of Margaret Buchanan reads:
    "Sacred in memory of Mrs Margaret Buchanan who departed this life 14 September 1840 Aged 42 years wife of Edward Crawcour, Esq"

I suspect the reason I can't trace Edward maybe for several reasons including he was out of the country; had changed his name. However, he had two young children John Isaac and Helelen( Ellen) Semira to consider so I need to trace them either in Englan or Scotland. They may have assumed their mother's maiden name.
    Phillip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast