grace bc

Question railways, Bishop Aukland -"permanent way- 1899" Mr J Ellerton

I posted this question last night on the Cambs forum but realised tonight this was a better place! New starter at this game, sorry!
    My question is has anyone heard of the "permanent way" somewhere around Winston nr Bishops Aukland. A newspaper clipping from the Northern Echo dated 19/12/33 states that Mr J Ellerton (John - my husband's great grandfather) had charge of the permanent way in 1899. He was a signalman at Whilly(?) Hill in 1873 and then a plate layer at Evenwood and Gainsford. Any info about any of these jobs gratefully received, Grace

Reputation beyond repute

It sounds to me like the Darlington & Barnard Castle Railway. If you google you'll find dozens of references.
    A signalman operated the signals.

A platelayer laid and maintained track.

The "permenant way" is what the bed of the railway track was called - the ground bit that was prepared for the track to be laid on - the sleepers and track were changeable but the permenant way stayed there.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

AnnB

Hello Grace
    I did reply to your query on the Cambs forum with a link for you to look at https://www.permanentwayinstitution.com/ Hope it might help
    Best wishes
    Ann