Viva71

Default MAJOR JOHN ANDRE

I am trying to find out who the parents were of Major John Andre. He was hung as a spy in the American War of Independence.

I believe he may be a relative. My 4 x Gt Grandmother was Marie Julienne Phillipine Andre. Her daughter Julia Sparham nee Mills remembers seeing him as a young child when he visited the house. My 4th x Gt Grandfather was Johann Andre which enforces my belief that Maj John is connected to my family tree.

His father was from Geneva and his mother was from Paris. He was born in London on 2 May 1750.

Would be grateful for any help.

Coromandel

Well, I was going to put in a link here to the recent thread about Julia Widder Mills . . . but it seems to have disappeared. I hope it hasn't gone permanently otherwise there's a lot of research down the drain.

edcba

Quote Originally Posted by Viva71 View Post
    I am trying to find out who the parents were of Major John Andre. He was hung as a spy in the American War of Independence.

I believe he may be a relative. My 4 x Gt Grandmother was Marie Julienne Phillipine Andre. Her daughter Julia Sparham nee Mills remembers seeing him as a young child when he visited the house. My 4th x Gt Grandfather was Johann Andre which enforces my belief that Maj John is connected to my family tree.

His father was from Geneva and his mother was from Paris. He was born in London on 2 May 1750.

Would be grateful for any help.
    According to Robert McConnell Hatch, Major John André, (Boston, 1986, p. 9), his parents were Anthony André and Marie Louise Girardot. His visit to Johann André in Offenbach is noted on p. 31. The person who remembers seeing him was Johann's daughter Julia (as she was called in England), who married Dr Ebenezer Mills, not their daughter.

Through this forum I have just got in contact with another descendant of Julia's daughter Julia Widder Mills. I have been doing research on Philippe André, the eldest son of Johann (and the eldest brother of Julia André Mills), who was a pioneer in introducing lithography to England. As Coromandel says, the thread about Julia Widder Mills seems to have disappeared--I have reported this to the moderator.

I would be most interested to know if any correspondence or other records survive of Julia André and her husband Ebenezer Mills.

Viva71

Default MAJOR JOHN ANDRE

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    Well, I was going to put in a link here to the recent thread about Julia Widder Mills . . . but it seems to have disappeared. I hope it hasn't gone permanently otherwise there's a lot of research down the drain.
    Coromandel - so glad I have found you!!!! Its me Fellingham (Lynda). The reason why the info has disappeared is simply because I re-registered under the name of Fellingham, not realising that this was not allowed. Bo-Peep informed me that I have to keep my original name i.e. Viva 71.

Rest assured your research is NOT wasted. I have book-marked all your info so it is safe and well.

So pleased to have heard from you.

Warmest Regards Lynda

Viva71

Default JULIA WIDDER MILLS

Quote Originally Posted by edcba View Post
    According to Robert McConnell Hatch, Major John André, (Boston, 1986, p. 9), his parents were Anthony André and Marie Louise Girardot. His visit to Johann André in Offenbach is noted on p. 31. The person who remembers seeing him was Johann's daughter Julia (as she was called in England), who married Dr Ebenezer Mills, not their daughter.

Through this forum I have just got in contact with another descendant of Julia's daughter Julia Widder Mills. I have been doing research on Philippe André, the eldest son of Johann (and the eldest brother of Julia André Mills), who was a pioneer in introducing lithography to England. As Coromandel says, the thread about Julia Widder Mills seems to have disappeared--I have reported this to the moderator.

I would be most interested to know if any correspondence or other records survive of Julia André and her husband Ebenezer Mills.
    Hi glad to have found you too.

I have explained to Coromandel on this link exactly what happened. I see Bo-Peep has explained as well. I really did not know that I had caused confusion by re-registering as someone else.

However all is now well and I am Viva71.

Please re-email me your message that you sent. I inadvertently deleted my emails last night.

I am a hopeless case I think.

Warmest Regards

Viva71

Quote Originally Posted by edcba View Post

I have just ordered Hatch's book. I will now start researching and see what I can find out about Phillipe.

JUSTICE.JONES

Good day to all and thank you for the opportunity of membership within this forum. Iv been availing the services of this site`s records for a few years now and only recently discovered this congressional quarters. Im not quite sure upon the requested nature of stories sought but this whole research project has been one unique remarkable experience . From a previously unknown family history regarding the Military and interaction with others is remarkable. However I hope to offer some light upon a certain request here recently. Joe.