Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    nataliew

Default Does Hampton Court mean the Palace?!

Have been tracing Hercules Wright my 4x great grandfather and family to various locations in the 1820s and 30s such as Teddington, Hampton (St Mary) and East Molesey usually as a labourer or servant. He then turns up from 1839 onwards as a publican in Hammersmith (the Ship - on the river, for anyone who knows it!).
    But in 1825 at the baptism of his youngest son Charles, he is specifically listed as living at Hampton Court - does anyone know if that would mean the estate of the Palace itself? Any ideas how I could check?

Growing old Disgracefully

If I remember right Hampton Court was a village in Richmont, Surry which is where the Palace was Build ie the village was there first then the Castle was Built, but someone will put me right .........

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

According to the Middlesex towns and parishes on Genuki, https://homepages.gold.ac.uk/genuki/M...ton/index.html
    Hampton Court is part of the parish of Hampton. Hampton Court in this instance would refer to the area, not the actual palace.

Looking at the PR, it's impossible to tell whether Hercules would have actually been employed at the palace - there are several other people whose address is also Hampton Court.
    I think that your only chance of finding out for certain would be to write to the archivist at Hampton Court Palace.
    Pam

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by nataliew View Post
    he is specifically listed as living at Hampton Court - does anyone know if that would mean the estate of the Palace itself?
    See above reply ...

As a labourer, he might well have been employed on the Hampton Court estate. If you want to investigate further, staff records for the royal palaces are held by the Royal Archives at Windsor Castle (enquiries by snail mail only).

www.
    royal.gov.uk/The Royal Collection and other collections/TheRoyalArchives/TheRoyalArchives.aspx

Thanks for the correction about where to write, Kerrywood.
    Pam

Name well known on Brit-Gen

There was a time when records for so-called Outdoors Staff (gardeners, coachmen, grooms, etc.) were kept at Hampton Court, and those for Indoor Staff (stewards, cooks, butlers, lords and ladies in waiting etc.) were at Windsor. But I think they are now all at Windsor.

nataliew

yes I noticed that others had the same address - interestingly, one is a gardener which I think made me think of an estate!
    I wonder how efficient and approachable the archives at Windsor are?!

As a complete guess -
    extremely efficient, and highly approachable, like all the Archives/Record Office staff I've had dealings with.
    Even if behind closed doors they shake their heads in despair at some of the questions they get asked.
    Pam

Be aware that there is a Hampton Court Castle in Herefordshire. Not that I think that's where he lived but just be aware that there might be records for that lurking about too.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

MillyCat

Hi, I've just come across this site and Hercules Wright (publican at the Ship) was my 3x great grandfather. If he was married to Sarah Farley, then he is definitely the same person. I have quite a lot of information on the family, however, am stuck trying to find both Hercules' and Sarah's births. It would be great if you know anything more and I will happily swap info. We are, presumably, cousins several times removed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast