Jacolemi

Default Train Engine Driver Lancs/Yorks Death

I am trying to find out more details about my 2nd great grandfather who was according to my great grandmothers registry entry of marriage on Oct 12 1897 was called JOHN MERCER and gave his occupation as Engine Driver and was deceased, the reason I have put him both as LANCASHIRE AND YORKSHIRE is because of the information I have found on him, but have now come to a standstill.

In the 1871 census it shows him as Railway Engine Driver and was 27 years old c1844 born in Bradford Yorkshire but now living in Kirkdale Liverpool Lancs, I have found whom I believe to be his wife on the 1881 census which shows a further 3 children and it says she is a widower, none of these actually say he is the dad though and the youngest being born about 1877 which I hope narrows it down a bit more to his death being between 1876 and 1881 and have narrowed it from the 1000+ results it gave me to 12!

Due to the fact he had been an engine driver I didn't know if anyone had the Railway workers book/cd for these dates to really nail down which one he was (obviously I dont know how he died yet) and not knowing the North at all its got harder to pin down when he died and his parentage etc

Many thanks to anyone who can help and I hope this isn't a too long a winded post

ADDED, In 1871 they were living at 3 Sellar Street, Kirkdale, Liverpool and in 1881 his widow lived at 41 Marsh Street Kirkdale Liverpool and one of her lodgers was also employed on the railways, would either of these addresses have been owned by the railways? would the latter one be for widows etc or private rented or private owned
    Last edited by Jacolemi; 27-04-2011 at 5:03 PM. Reason: added info I know which might help

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacolemi View Post
    In the 1871 census it shows him as Railway Engine Driver and was 27 years old c1844 born in Bradford Yorkshire but now living in Kirkdale Liverpool Lancs, I have found whom I believe to be his wife on the 1881 census which shows a further 3 children and it says she is a widower, none of these actually say he is the dad though and the youngest being born about 1877

In the 1871 census, John and Elizabeth are living at Sellar Street, Kirkdale, Liverpool.

1871: RG10 Piece: 3826 Folio: 66 Page: 14 (crown copyright, are of the TNA)

In 1881, Elizabeth and the children are living at 41 Marsh St, Kirkdale

1881: RG11 Piece: 3679 Folio: 22 Page: 38 (crown copyright, are of the TNA)

These look like the children christenings and would indicate that John was the father of the younger children as well.

name: Mary Harriet Mercer
    baptism/christening date: 31 May 1869
    baptism/christening place: St. Mary's, Kirkdale, Lancashire, England
    father's name: John Mercer
    mother's name: Elizabeth Mercer
    (from family search)

name: Joshua Mercer
    baptism/christening date: 06 Nov 1870

name: Emily Mercer
    baptism/christening date: 02 May 1872

name: Florence Maud Mercer
    baptism/christening date: 18 Dec 1876
    baptism/christening place: St Mary, Kirkdale, Lancashire, England
    mother's name: Elizabeth

name: Sarah Jane Mercer
    baptism/christening date: 18 Dec 1876
    baptism/christening place: St Mary, Kirkdale, Lancashire, England
    mother's name: Elizabeth

I hope narrows it down a bit more to his death being between 1876 and 1881 and have narrowed it from the 1000+ results it gave me to 12!
    If John died around the area that he was living (West Derby reg.) then this death is a fair possibility.

Deaths Jun 1878 W.Derby 8b 330
    MERCER John
    Age 34

Jacolemi

Wow thanks for that I can finally put those pieces in and start trying to find out some more about both John and Elizabeth, not having a proper date for either of their deaths and have found some possibilities of where some of the children were in later years

Jacolemi

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    If John died around the area that he was living (West Derby reg.) then this death is a fair possibility.

Deaths Jun 1878 W.Derby 8b 330
    MERCER John
    Age 34
    Thats one of the ones I had narrowed it down to, but unfortunately didn't know areas and boundaries of it nor if he was an engine driver if he could have possibly died elsewhere working

Thats one of the ones I had narrowed it down to, but unfortunately didn't know areas and boundaries of it nor if he was an engine driver if he could have possibly died elsewhere working
    It is of course possible that he died away from his home area.

However, if at some point you decide to send for this particular death certificate, you could always ask for the occupation to be checked, specifying that it should be something like engine driver or railway worker. On making such a query, you would probably be better off trying the local register office rather than the GRO; in my experience they tend to be more flexible.

First though, it might be an idea to obtain copies of the younger children's christening records, to check John's occupation on these, in case his job title changed.