Loves to help with queries

Default Is Hannah Shaw Harriet Shaw?

Although Mark Mumford b.1826 and spouse Hannah?/Harriet? Shaw b. (variously) 1826/30 were both born Ticknall, D'sh. they variously lived 1851 Ticknall, 1861 Staff.. can't find '71 or '81, '91 Woodville, Leic (and Hannah is now Harriet An (H?)), 1901 Blackfordby, Leic. (Harriet H). IGI shows only a Harriet (no Hannah) Shaw born Ticknall and that was 1823 to George Shaw and Elizabeth (as in Hannah's 1841 census) and she has her birth place as Ticknall in the abovementioned census. Her marriage to Mark in 1849 was Hannah Shaw, Ashby de la Z. Mark dies 1903 Ashby de la Z. I can't find another marriage for Mark between 1861 and 1891 (after which Hannah becomes Harriet so assume Hannah and Harriet one and the same). Searched FMP for '71 and '81 census with no luck. She certainly could have fibbed about her age and possibly, as she's shown as Harriet H on the 1901 census, her name could have been Harriet Hannah Shaw or Hannah Harriet. I can't find a death for an H Mumford, all counties, between 1901/1920. Opinion please on whether Hannah and Harriet are one and the same. Thank you .... LizzieB

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by LizzieB View Post
    Searched FMP for '71 and '81 census with no luck.
    Could this be Mark with Hannah in 1871? Both born in Ticknall. Surname is transcibed as Mountford and does look like Mountford on the image, but I still wonder if it is them.

1871: RG10 Piece: 3613 Folio: 24 Page: 40 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)

Next census in Yorkshire, Mark with Harriet H (born abt 1829 in Ticknall)

1881: RG11 Piece: 4588 Folio: 8 Page: 9 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)

Thomasin

I agree with olliecat that this is probably the couple, and in 1891 the 'Harriet An' probably represents 'Harriet Hannah' or 'Anna', the other version. So my five pennyworth says yes, Hannah is Harriet.

Loves to help with queries

Hey Thomasin and olliecat, looking at both the 'missing' census, even tho both say Mountford, both are born Ticknall, he's a coal miner, and the birth dates are around the right time. And I have since found a death for a Hannah Mountford (his said Mumford) Ashby de la Z, which would have had her born 1834, several years out, but gee, for those days ......! Thanks for thinking outside the square. Try as I might ...... Thank you both .... LizzieB