Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Laurane

Default Another NASH heard from.....

but not from Worcs....also looking for info on burials of inmates of Powick. My husband's great, great aunt was in Powick on 1891 census. She "lost her reason" according to her sister before 1868 and was basket making in 1891. She lived with her mother until 1874 then I assume she was moved into Powick. Was there a burial place for patients or did remaining family bury them?

Her name was Sarah GAUDEN and she was single....the rest of the family moved to USA in 1868, so there is nobody to research her in UK. Any suggestions welcomed...thx.

Lottie

Default Worcestershire Workhouses

Laurane

There are records for Powick Asylum , up until the time you give. They are held at Worcestershire Record Office.

Details of how to contact them are available on this site .

https://worcestershire.whub.org.uk/ho...cc-records.htm

Lottie
    New Zealand

smr1

Powick hospitol was closed in 1989 and demolished soon afterwards for redevelopment of a housing estate, part of the original hospitol building still stands and has been converted into flats / appartments.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeb View Post
    Hi Lottie,
    I know quite a lot about Powick Asylum, I live about 6 miles away from it, or at least where it was, it closed in 1996. It is true it took the insane but also people of varying degrees of sanity were patients too. My own Gt Gt Grandmother was a patient there, she suffered from cancer and a friends father was also a short term patient in the 1950's, he merely suffered from bouts of depression. Sadly it had and still has locally in some cases a stigma attached to it as 'The Nut House'
    Personally I have done genealogical research for 30 years, tracing many families both for myself and friends back several hundred years. I thought as your family was local I might have been some help!
    Regards Jeremy.

Uptongirl

Hi, Lottie did you sort out your workhouse query? if not I can probably help, Sheila Worcester UK
    sheila_mason AT sky DOT com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123