Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hilder Family

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    Mr. Hilder jun., farmer, of Cockfield, to Mary, eldest daughter of Mr. Thomas Ridley, sen., grocer[/B], of Abbeygate-street.'
    Excellent, you confirmed it. There is also this possibility for Mary's parents.

The Bury and Norwich Post: Wednesday, November 29 1815
    Married
    Mr Thomas Ridley of this town, to Miss Ridley, daughter of the late Mr Thos Ridley, merchant, of Ipswich.

A Ridley marrying a Ridley.

The Bury & Norwich Post. May 27 1835
    Died
    On Thursday last, aged 39, Mary the beloved wife of Thomas Ridley, grocer, of Abbeygate-street, in this town, leaving a husband and ten children to lament their irreparable loss.

So Mary had 9 siblings. wow!

Time for a tea break methinks.

Mutley

Well, I've spent a nostalgic hour or so trawling the web for cartoon mice. Most of the female mice seem to be a bit too pink and girly (Minnie with her polka dots and bows; Angelina with her ballet). Not me at all! I think I will have to go for a mouse from a book instead: Hunca Munca from The Tale of Two Bad Mice. I think she could hold her own against a certain cat and dog.

P.S. sorry, caperone, for this diversion in the middle of your family history. It's all Mutley's fault for calling me rude names I shall join back in the quest for the Hilders now...
    I shall also apologise and give a belated 'welcome to the forum' to caperone. I do hope you have a sense of humour. Family research can get rather heavy at times and a light hearted diversion is, well, just a bit of fun.

Beatrix Potter was always a favourite but I really did fancy a bit of arriba, arriba
    Hunca Munca was married to Tom Thumb, she died in 1905 after falling from a chandelier. Oops, sorry wrong family.

I shall join back in the quest for the Hilders now...

The Bury & Norwich Post. May 27 1835
    Died
    On Thursday last, aged 39, Mary the beloved wife of Thomas Ridley, grocer, of Abbeygate-street, in this town, leaving a husband and ten children to lament their irreparable loss.
    Sorry Coromandel, I didn't see that you'd already posted this. Too busy being aggravated by her age at death. From this, an estimated birth date would be about 1796. Her parents names are recorded on the christening records of her children. Searching for a christening for Mary born abt 1796, I can find a number of christenings for siblings, but not for her. Wonder if her age was accurately reported. Grr!

Coromandel

There are three different photos of Ridley's shop at 35-36 Abbeygate Street here: https://www.
    burypastandpresent.org.uk/jarman-captions/streets/abbeygate-street.shtml

Ridley's seem to have traded there for nearly 200 years, from 1801 to 1996.

This could be Mary snr's father. He was deceased by the time she married in 1815.

The Bury and Norwich Post: Wednesday, October 20, 1813
    Died
    On the 12th inst. at Islington, in his 44th year, Mr Thos. Ridley, merchant, of Ipswich.

Torn between looking through the newspapers for more Ridley's, and looking for Tom Thumb and Huca Munca. Bad Mutley!

Mutley

Now where was I?

In 1891 Edward Hilder born 1814 was still farming at Hoe Bridge at the age of 77 and was a widower.
    Living with him was Charlotte, his daughter age 41 born in Woking in about 1850 and a grandchild named Ada Colebrook aged 24 born in Guildford, Surrey in about 1867. There was also a 'son visitor' by the name of Ridley Hilder, he was born 1875 in Cockfield. I'll need to go back to find out who he is.

They are transcribed on Ancestry as Hildee.
    RG12/555, F.98, P.30 (TNA Copyright)

I think Edward died in Guildford at the age of 79 in the 1st quarter of 1894. He did leave a will.
    Edward Hilder farmer and merchant of Woking in Surrey, died 14 Feb 1894.
    Probate 20 June to Ridley Thomas Hilder, bachelor of medicine and Charlotte Elizabeth Hilder, spinster and Edmund Wright Brooks a gentleman. Effects, £8335, 2s 4d.

One more for the moment.

The Bury and Norwich Post: Wednesday, November 25, 1818
    Died
    Monday se'nnight, aged 52, universally respected by all who knew her, Mrs. Ridley, widow of Mr. Thomas Ridley, wine-merchant, of Ipswich.

Mutley

It seems that the grandchild Ada Mary Colebrook was the daughter of Mary Hephzibah Hilder and May Colebrook.
    According to an Ancestry Public Tree Mary H. died in childbirth in 1874 (of 7th child).

I think I will leave it there for now and should caperone require any further help I am sure we will be pleased to assist.

Well done to the cat and the mouse, an enjoyable evening

Jan1954

Ridley's seem to have traded there for nearly 200 years, from 1801 to 1996.
    Maybe even longer:

There is a John RIDLEY mentioned in the 1790 Suffolk Poll Book for Bury.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast