Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    gothicgal

Default Townsends from Swindon/Cirencester

Hi, I am looking for my G/Grandfather Henry Townsend. He was born in cirencester 1843 and lived there until 1881 when we have him on the census as living with his wife and family in Purton. He married Eliza Winters in 1871 in cirencester. In 1881 he is working as an agricultural labourer and living at ridgeway cottages purton. He dies at some point before the 1891 census as Eliza is listed as a widow and she lives at The Fox in purton. Can someone please help me find a death for Henry. We know the living family are salvation army and dont know if this would affect our search for a death record.
    Thankyou for any help in advance.

I think the registration district for Purton is Cricklade. There is a death registered Mar qtr 1891 for a Henry Townsend in Cricklade RD (just before census ) Vol 5a p 28. It does give his age as 53, mind, but perhaps his wife didn't know his true age?
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

gothicgal

Hi Sue, Yes the registration district for Purton is Cricklade. I think we discounted that Henry as he was too old but i am going to order the certificate so i can categorically rule him out or celebrate
    Thankyou for your help

Hi
    There is a death for a
    TOWNSEND Henry 40 Chippenham Wilts 1888
    is this more near his age

Peanut

gothicgal

Thankyou muchly Peanut, that will be one of this weeks certificates, He was born in 1843 so the record you have found puts him as being born around 1848, there is always the chance his wife got it wrong.
    GG

Richard1955

Hi GG
    The 1881 census states Henry was born in Cirencester as you rightly say.
    I can only find one birth in Cirencester for a Henry Townsend and this is it:
    Henry Townsend.
    District: Cirencester
    County: Gloucestershire
    Year of Registration: 1839
    Quarter of Registration: Mar
    Volume No: 11
    Page No: 234

gothicgal

Thankyou Richard, i shall investigate. We have traced him through the census records so there is a chance something has been missed )
    Last edited by gothicgal; 30-03-2011 at 4:25 PM. Reason: updated info

Richard1955

Hi Sarah
    I forget to say that there are also half a dozen 'unnamed male' Townsend'' on the birth reg around that time.

gothicgal

I saw those. Its either a case of ordering all of the certificates or closing my eyes and pointing at one!!!

gothicgal

Hi Sue, another thankyou for pointing me to this Henry, he is ours and the discovery of a death record means we can leave him be now, it was driving us round the bend

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast