Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    gothicgal

Talking Whites in Swindon

HI, I am looking for my Grandfather and any relatives of his in swindon. His Name was Louis philip White b1883 d1962. He was born in Ross, herefordshire, married there to Mary Carpenter, had 2 sons William and Bernard. We have him on the 1911 census but after that he disappears until 1935 when he re-appears in southampton. He was a tailor and in 1940 he moved to swindon with his second wife and young son Eric b1935 d1997. He worked in old town for Patemans and lived in manchester road. Louis had a cousin Lionel, who married into a purton family in 1912. If anyone could help me find Louis between 1911 and 1935 i would be very grateful as we have searched everywhere, i cant find any army records although we were given the information that he was in the army, we do not have any service records or even a service number for him. Also looking for any decendants of Lionel White, Married Eleanor Ponting 1912. thankyou in advance for any help from anyone.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

As you know the childrens names, you can follow their marriages & children on FreeBMD by listing the Mothers name for births after 1911 & using the known area.
    For the 2nd marriage if you know the wifes name, even easier to find any additional births. An E. F. White was born in Swindon 1935 to a Mrs White nee Middleton, perhaps that was she?

The only Louis Philip White I found b in 1883 was in Stroud, so it became difficult to search for one such in Military records.
    Another Louis was 'Avory' who may have been confused with yours to some Family members.

If you can post the 2nd wifes name, it may help in finding your Louis Philip. Were ther any other known children? What about a trade he may have had.? that woulld help to find him in directories perhaps.

Re Lionel White & Ponting, same applies. FreeBMD shows 2 births in Swindon & two births in Portsmouth between 1913 & 1921. you should be able to find prospective marriage partners for these children & continue the search. Maybe via Genes reunited or public trees on the internet.

We also have to consider NOT naming people on the Forum who may still be living.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Incidently, the Louis P White born in Stroud was at home with parents James & Betsy & several siblings in April 1891,
    RG12; Piece: 2025; Folio 12; Page 17;

but in March 1901 he was in ROSS Herefordshire with his Sister Lilian, her Husband Willim Newton & their baby Fred Newton 4 mths.
    RG13; Piece: 2474; Folio: 10; Page: 12.

(crown copywrite TNA )

In June 1/4 of 1901 he married Mary Temperance Carpenter in ROSS. 6a 1043 (from FreeBMD)
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Richard1955

I can confirm that Louis White was born in Stroud and not Ross as Sarah states above.
    Sarah has confirmed this with me previously.
    So you have the correct census Waitabit and he is a Taylor.
    Sarah is trying to establish if Louis White has a service record as the family have suggested
    and to explain a void in his life after the 1911 census and before 1935.

As gothicgal already has another thread on Louis Philip WHITE, I have combined the two threads to keep all the information together.

This way we can see what research has already been done and avoid duplication of effort.

gothicgal

Hi Waitabit, thanks for that, I have all the information for Louis from his birth until he last appears in the 1911 census, than he disappears until 1935, re-appearing in a trades directory in southampton. I know his whearabouts after that date as he fathered my dad and married my grandmother. I think i may have exhausted all records for the time being and am now looking for any possible military records to explain his disappearance for 24 years, as Richard has correctly stated. I dont have a service number unfortunately and i know its like looking for a needle in a haystack. I am just hoping that someone somewhere might be able to direct me somewhere i havent looked yet or even better, a living relative may be researching their ancestry.

gothicgal

Question *UPDATE* Louis White

So its been a few years.... Im still stuck between 1911 and 1935. I did however, find living relatives. My G/father had 2 sons we had no knowledge of. Both passed in the 1980's and 1990's but had children. One set of cousins were very welcoming and we visited them. They had no information though. All they knew was Louis "upped and left" around 1911. No more was heard from him until he passed in 1962. A solicitor visited both brothers to inform them of the death but neither wanted anything to do with the estate. We found military records for Louis enrollment in the army in 1914. But we believe they are part of the "burnt records" damaged in the London Blitz. So we are no further forward. We had a lead from a family member stating that Louis tailored Sir Malcom Campbells suits. (broke the land speed record in Bluebird) I emailed the estate of S.M.C but they were either not interested in checking their archives or my email slipped through the net. Now and again i check the forums and search for any info which may have appeared but still nothing. I now have another dilemma. In our family are a set (2, did used to be 3) medals from WW1. Our father always stated they were our G/fathers. Our fathers widow was happy to send them to us so we could research them. The name on the edge is not our G/fathers. When we looked into it, our G/father had a "journeyman" of the same name working with him around 1910. I have talked to many people about this and what circumstances could possibly lead to our G/father having these medals. Again, hit a wall. We looked into the person on the medals using their service number and name and if its the person we think it is, we have traced his death in 1945 (ish) Still doesnt answer WHY Louis would have his medals. Im beginning to think i may need a psychic......

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123