kevthompson13

Default John STILES in Devizes prison

If anyone could help me with a Past relative who spent some time in Devizes prison by the name of John Stiles in 1851 I would be very greatfull.
    he was 65 and I cannot find any info on him and what he did.
    Any information would be of a great value to my family tree

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hi kevthompson 13, and welcome to the forums!

I have moved your post from the end of an old thread to a new thread of its own.

If you can tell us what birthplace is given for John STILES in 1851, it may be easier for members to help.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Kerrywood, I think he's in prison in the 1851 census.

1851: Class: HO107; Piece: 1839; Folio: 668; Page: 45 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    John Stiles, Prisoner, 65, born Brotton, Wiltshire

Don't know where Brotton is; Broughton perhaps?

Also, there are a couple of criminal registers on Ancestry that may relate to him. I've been compelled to go and do something else for a bit, so I can't look any further for the moment.

I looked too and thought it might be Bratton?

The Criminal Registers for England & Wales (HO 27/98) show that a John STILES was tried for larceny at the Wiltshire Assizes at New Sarum on 8 March 1851 and was sentenced to 9 months imprisonment.

On 28 June 1853 at the Warminster sessions a John STILES was convicted of larceny after a previous felony and was sentenced to 7 years' transportation.

There are other charges in Wiltshire, in 1861 and 1870, of which a John STILES was acquitted.

Unfortunately the records give no indication as to whether any of the above are the same person.

Do you have a death for your man?

Coromandel

The Bratton village website at https://www. brattonvillage.org/brattons_canadian_links.htm mentions a John Stiles and wife Mary whose daughter Amelia (or 'Millier') emigrated to Canada. The article about her says 'Amelia's father was widowed in 1844, and he is probably the John Stiles who later fell foul of the law and served time for felony in Devizes gaol.'

kevthompson13

Default More info

John STILES was born about 1787 in Bratton, Wiltshire. England. He was christened on 29 Apr 1787 in Bratton, Wiltshire. England. He appeared on the census in 1851 in Devizes, Wiltshire. England. Age 65. Labourer. Claims to be unmarried (Mary died?). In New Prison, Devizes. Parents: David * STILES and Hannah COOK.
    He was married to Mary EACOT on 9 May 1808 in Bratton, Wiltshire. England. (7)(142) Bachelor & Spinster
    src: Phillimore's Wiltshire Marriages
    Assumed this Mary as likely other one died or was same person with wrong date. Children were: William STILES, James STILES, Mellier STILES, James STILES, Sarah STILES, George STILES, Richard STILES.

kevthompson13

Thank you for all this help.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    The Criminal Registers for England & Wales (HO 27/98) show that a John STILES was tried for larceny at the Wiltshire Assizes at New Sarum on 8 March 1851 and was sentenced to 9 months imprisonment.
    This would have been part of the Western Circuit of assizes. Though there are some records for this Circuit at The National Archives, Kew: from the catalogue there do seem to be indictments in series ASSI 25, but many other types of records (including depositions) seem to be missing for 1851.

According to David Hawkings' Criminal Ancestors, the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre at Chippenham also has some Wiltshire assizes records and some records for Devizes gaol, but none seem to be the right date for you.

Your best bet may be to find a newspaper account of the trial. I can't see anything in online newspapers, but many papers aren't online: the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre looks like the place to go.

For assizes records, have a read of the standard research guide to see the various types of record and what each might tell you about the case.

Surviving depositions are now surname-indexed in the main catalogue and should come up on a search, with the series code ASSI.

Failing a deposition, the most useful source is normally the Crown minute book, in this case ASSI 21/62.

Bundles of indictments can be a devil to search through and are not generally rewarding. With a few exceptions, an indictment rarely gives much more than the entry in the criminal register, but it may state the parish where the crime was committed or where the arrest was made.

Given that you have the place and date of trial, a search of the available records for this case shouldn't take long, if you can get to Kew. But, as has been said, a newspaper report (if you can find one) might be more rewarding.

kevthompson13

Thanks for all your help, my only choice is a trip to Kew.