helenc

Default birth help please xx

Hi am new to irish research and am looking to trace my ggrandma.
    Bridget mcmanus bc1835 married Charles Hall b1832 cambs uk they married 1st march 1857 St pauls parish church dublin.
    Bridgets parents are Patrick Mcmanus (carpenter/dairyman) and Ann ?? Their address looks like Hendrick St ?? but no no' given.
    Would dearly love to know if bridget had any siblings and what her mothers maiden name was. I have Bridget and charles details and their children as they came to the UK sometime.... as charles was in the army, but would so love to be able to tie up these loose threads!!

many thanks Helen

Knowledgeable and helpful

The marriage is listed on this site which shows that Bridget was a servant in Hendrick St, so it’s possible that was her employers house rather than her own family home. You would need access to a Dublin street directory for the period such as Thoms, to check that out further. Street numbering probably hadn’t been introduced at that point which is why no house number would be shown.

www.irishgenealogy.ie/index.html

Bridget’s birth is well before the start of statutory birth registration in Ireland (1864) and so to trace her family you really need to know her religion, their parish or townland. Otherwise it’s a needle in a haystack.

Though the marriage to Charles was Church of Ireland, I suspect that Bridget would have originally been RC.

You may want to check to see if she and her parents appear in the surviving bits of the 1851 Co. Dublin census:

www.
    worldvitalrecords.com/indexinfo.aspx?ix=eneclann_dcc
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 12-03-2011 at 9:05 PM. Reason: link to site containing advertising

helenc

Default thanksxx

HI thanks for the help!! i googled hendrick st and it seemed a very poor area and were mostly tenements so i was assuming it was where she lived??
    YES bridget was def roman catholic!! she died in 1877 and the children were put in an orphanage and listed as RC and then the boys went to canada in a RC scheme similar to home children. will check out the other site but i can't afford a sub at the mo :-( things are just too tight.
    many thanks for your help!!
    Helenx

Knowledgeable and helpful

Well if you think Bridget';s family did live in Hendrick St, the next step would be to check out the parish registers for the local RC church. The records should have been copied to the National Library in Dublin.

helenc

ok will give it a go! best wishes Helen