LittleSpark

Default Where do I begin?

Excuse my ignorance but I know absolutely nothing about Boer War/South Africa/Zulus.
    I'm trying to find any info on William Henry White born 1855, Dudley, Worcs. who was a Bandsman in the British Army and fought in South Africa against the Zulus.
    These are the only details I've got - I do not know his regiment or anything else.

I am a complete novice on this subject so any help/guidance would be most appreciated.
    Many thanks
    Sheila

Brick wall demolition expert!

Hi Sheila, I can't answer the specifics of your question, but could this be his service record?

William Henry WHITE
    Born abt 1856 at Dudley, Worcestershire
    Attested to the 24th Brigade Of Infantry in 1877
    Discharged in 1889

WO97 / 4151 / 68

Name well known on Brit-Gen

There's a candidate for him amongst the army service records in WO 97, downloadable from the subscription/pay site Find My Past. If he is your man, that would be a good starting-point.

LittleSpark

Hi olliecat,
    That could be him - where does the reference come from? Is it TNA?
    I've had a look at W097 from reading previous posts on the Boer War but haven't a clue what I'm doing or how to 'get into it'
    Can you explain in simple terms for me? ...lol
    Many thanks
    Sheila

Brick wall demolition expert!

You can access his military records on the subscription/pay site findmypast (as Kerrywood) mentioned.

www.
    findmypast.co.uk

If you don't already have a subscription to the site, you can purchase some credits in order to view the records. When you are on findmypast, you can search for his records by typing in his name and birth date.

WO97 / 4151 / 68 is a TNA reference. WO indicates the records were created by the War Office and the Chelsea Pensioners Record Series is numbered WO97. findmypast have added these records to their site in association with the TNA (the National Archives)

LittleSpark

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    There's a candidate for him amongst the army service records in WO 97, downloadable from the subscription/pay site Find My Past. If he is your man, that would be a good starting-point.
    Many thanks Kerrywood - will have a look

LittleSpark

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    You can access his military records on the subscription/pay site findmypast (as Kerrywood) mentioned.

www.
    findmypast.co.uk

If you don't already have a subscription to the site, you can purchase some credits in order to view the records. When you are on findmypast, you can search for his records by typing in his name and birth date.

WO97 / 4151 / 68 is a TNA reference. WO indicates the records were created by the War Office and the Chelsea Pensioners Record Series is numbered WO97.
    Thanks olliecat for your help - so easy when you know how!

Sheila