Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lawsue

Default Pettett and Geage Families in Australia

Hi,
    Looking for any info on ancestors of Alfred Pettett and Caroline Geage. Both arrived in Australia around 1853 with their 2 year old daughter named Caroline Blanche Pettett (could have first name (Eliza ?) Daughter was my husbands G/grandmother and died in Australia in 1933. She was born in Hastings Sussex and I assume both parents were as well. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank You
    Sue

There is a Caroline Blanche Pettett born 4 Jan 1848 Hobart, Tasmania to Alfred Pettett and Caroline. Could this be your Caroline

There is also a marriage of Alfred Pettit to Caroline Storey on 14 Sep 1846 in Hobart, Tasmania. Don't know if this could be relevant or not. The family seems to have travelled to Port Jackson, NSW in 1851.

lawsue

Hi Kathnz
    I' have that info already but death transcript is a little different. Still a possibility. The Hobart Pettetts were convicts. Caroline Snr being a widow when she married Alfred. Birth year on Caroline Jnr 3yrs out but that doesn't mean too much I think this is going to be a sticky one for a while. Here's hoping they are are our convicts. That will make 3. But just need to make sure.
    Thanks for your input.
    Sue

lawsue

Thanks again. With your latest info on travelling to Port Jackson, this is looking a distinct possibility. But will still be looking further back if possible Storey could have been previous husbands name. Thats what put me off track before.

There is a marriage in 1836 of John Storey to Caroline Seago on 20 NOV 1836 at Saint John The Evangelist, Lambeth.
    Looking at the original,Caroline's name could possibly be read as Geage or Seage.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by KathNZ View Post
    There is a marriage in 1836 of John Storey to Caroline Seago on 20 NOV 1836 at Saint John The Evangelist, Lambeth.
    Looking at the original,Caroline's name could possibly be read as Geage or Seage.
    I believe the name is written SEAGO. The witnesses to this 1836 marriage were John WEBBER and Emma WEBBER. A John WEBBER married an Emma SEAGO on 28 Aug 1831 at St Mark Kennington (Lambeth).

Emma was probably Caroline's sister. There are baptisms for Emma SEAGO at Tooting Graveney on 22 Aug 1813, and for Caroline SEAGO at St Leonard Streatham on 29 Sep 1816 (born 5 Sep), both daughters of John SEAGO and Sarah. John is recorded in the baptism register as a coachman (London parish registers database).

Other children of John SEAGO and Sarah were also baptised at Streatham (Abraham 1820, Robert 1822, Louisa 1826). There may be others lurking under mistranscriptions.

A Caroline STOREY was tried at the Old Bailey on 12 Aug 1839 (aged 20, larceny, 3 months imprisonment) and on 6 July 1840 (age 22, larceny after a previous conviction, transportation 14 years).

Links to both trial transcripts are here. This seems likely to be the person transported to VDL on Navarino in 1840/41. But if the age given in the court records is correct, she may be a little young to be the Caroline SEAGO who married John STOREY in 1836.

Sue, if you think any of the above might relate to the family you're seeking, we can look further.

lawsue

You guys are unbelievably helpful. I already have court records,thanks. I thought these people were ours when I first found them but something told me to slow down. Still not sure but the similarities are unbelievable.The ages in court records are only out by about a year or two. But that could be due to transcibing handwriting I guess. Still can't find a Geage anywhere. Is there such a name? I'll start investigating similar surnames. Can I get back to you regarding you searching for me. I'll do a few sums. 1836 could be a possibilty abeit a slim one. Thanks so much to both of you. Will get back.

lawsue

Thank you, Will look into it. You guys are so helpful. Appreciated immensley.
    PS Thinking about you guys over the ditch. Take care.

No trouble Sue, we are OK here but do have rellies visiting from Christchurch for a bit of a break.
    Have you tried the Australian newspapers web site at http:/
    trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home there may be something on the family there.

Katherine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast