Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post
    Princess Road is now called Patterdale Road.

Go to old-maps.co.uk/maps.html (www in front) and type Northenden in the search box

> in the right hand box scroll down to the “1938 Pre-WW II” Cheshire Map

>click on ‘Enlarge Map

’>click ‘Enhanced Zoom’

>click the bottom right hand square of the map and you’ll see Princess Road where Patterdale Road now is (keep clicking the map to enlarge the image).

malcolm99
    Hi Malcolm, that information is very interesting indeed. I have now been able to learn that a Richard & Lily Ireland lived at 15 Patterdale Road in Northenden in 1968 & I had assumed that they had moved house. Your information has now enabled me to learn that they actually stayed in the same house & in fact it was the road name that changed!
    Thank you for your very kind help, it's most appreciated.

Brock

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Richards View Post
    Hi Brock and friends.

Thanks to Malcolm we now know the present name, Patterdale Road. I do know that road.

If I get a minute in the next few days, I'll have a drive up there and see if the house is still standing. I suspect it will be one of the older type houses on one side of that road - Now I know where it is, I doubt if they were Local Authority housing - the latter I was referring to are the post war properties off Royle Green Road.

Meanwhile, it's time for me to don my sky blue 'Man. City' shirt and spend a couple of hours "kicking every ball" watching the football.

Regards
    Jack, if you do get the chance to drive along the road as you said I would be interested to learn whether their old house is still standing ~ shout hello for me if it is!
    Thanks for your contribution Jack, it's much appreciated.

From a very happy Birmingham City supporter!

Jack Richards

Hi Brock and friends

This afternoon I had a choice. Did I watch a recording of yesterdays debacle footie Man. City or nip up to Northenden?. I chose the latter.

I suspect Patterdale Road was built in the period 1892 to 1902 / 1910. Other nearby similar houses are dated those years with a stone "plaque". On one side the houses are in a row of 1 to 17 then a gap width of a road, cul de sac, then another similar block 19 to ?. The houses may be two up two down with a bit on the back which will be a kitchen and may also have been outside toilet and store (coal). Behind there is a back alleyway to the rear of all the houses, and behing that are gardens for each house about 15 yards long. Number 15 at present may be occupied by a younger couple, probably modernised. The front door as is no. 13 are new pvc type - nice. nO. 17 may be unoccupied! It is a quiet road, having said that cars do use it as a cut through to Royle Green Road.

Northenden today is much changed from pre 1970s even more so than pre war, when it was a lovely sleepy village in open countryside stretching to beyond the airport, which is about 3 to 4 miles south.

The houses on the opposite side are similarly built but are semis. In fact all the older houses in the village are similar.

Nearby is the lovely St. Wilfreds Parish Church, I think it may be sandstone, it has a brownish hue.

I did not move to Manchester until 1962, so it is from that date I have first hand knowledge of Northenden. It was still in the 1960s a nice village, in fact it still has lots to offer. In the late 1950s maybe early '60s, Police Sergeant Bateman was the one the "baddies" feared - this was Manchester City Police - his son John also joined about 1960 / 61 and rose to Supt. Mentioning the police and your research, I can remember a Police Constable "Bill" Ireland, but my memory is not good, I'm sure he was from south M/cr. In the 50s, 60s and 70s there was a Remand Home for Boys and almost daily they went a.w.o.l. and some committed crime

Lastly, if you are looking at Google maps of Northenden, remember as I said, it is much changed. The local authority houses are good properties, well there is a block of flats not in keeping with the area.

If you need to know more, maybe a p.m. might be applicable - our friends may nor appreciate a 'guide book' reply.

Oh and yes, I do have another 'bonus' - I think - but cannot record it herein! Also, I did shout 'Hello' for you.

Regards
    Last edited by christanel; 26-10-2013 at 4:11 AM. Reason: typo

Jack Richards

Hi Brock and friends

Apologies, me again. As Malcolm suggested, go to Google maps, type in Patterdale Road Northeden etc. When the images appear turn them round until you can see a view of the cars facing you. You will see on the right Weston Grove, and then there is a white iron gate, that is no. 17. then the privet hedge and then no. 15. The grey car I think actually belongs to your no. 15. The road at the end at right angles is Royle Green Road.

Regards

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Jack Richards

Well done, saved me a detour there tomorrow on my way to the daughters!

geneius

Susan luker

To all following this thread, not sure if anyone is still following just thought my insight might be helpful. Brock actually said Royal Green, in 1927 all that was in Northenden at that time was a piece of land called Royal Green. By 1933 you have Royal Green Road off Church Road, off Palentine Road which runs on to Princess Road. The Princess Road that is mentioned in this thread, is now more commonly known as The Princess Parkway. It was not demolished in the 1960's. The Princess Parkway (A5103) which runs from Wythenshawe, to the Mancunian Way just before Manchester Town Centre. Hope this info is of help to someone. Susan xx

Brock

Thanks Susan, that's very useful information.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12