Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

yes you are right thank you im gonna go get the certs too be certain cheers...kev

HI, OLLIE I GOT THE BIRTH CERT THIS MORNING FOR WILLIAM SAMUEL HARRIS HE WAS BORN 20/JUNE/1884 FATHERS NAME WILLIAM HARRIS A BRICKLAYER MOTHERS NAME JANE BISHOP ALL RESIDED AT ROUGH HILL LANE WOLVERHAMPTON STAFFS U.K. ...REGARDS....KEV
    Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    One more item of interest for you that I came across. This may be William and Jane in the 1881 census.

1881: RG11; Piece: 2807; Folio: 90; Page: 26 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    Ettinghall Lane, Wolverhampton
    HARRIS, William, head, 24 [34?] Bricklayer
    HARRIS, Jane, wife 23 [33?]
    HARRIS, Ann dau, 8
    HARRIS, Clara dau, 6
    HARRIS, Mary dau, 3
    HARRIS, Sarah Jane, dau, 1
    All born Wolverhampton

The ages of William and Jane are transcribed as 24 and 23 respectively. Looking at the image of the census, at first glance it does look like 24 and 23, but on closer examination it could also be a badly scrawled 34 and 33. The part that convinces me is that children are consistent with the children in the later 1891 census.

Sorry Kev, but now you've confused me. From the census, it appears that the parents of William Samuel Harris are William H Harris and Jane. Then going back another generation, the parents of William H Harris are possibly William Henry Harris and Mary Ann.

I would heartily recommend that the first certificate you get hold of is William Samuel Harris' birth certificate. With such a common name as Harris it is best to be on the safe side and not rely too much on the census. You don't want to end up following the wrong line. Personally I would obtain ..

1. William Samuel Harris' birth certifcate (to check that his parents are William and Jane and also obtain Jane's maiden name)
    2. Then obtain his father William Harris' marriage certificate to Jane

Once you have William Harris' marriage certificate to Jane, you will know if his parents are likely to be the William and Mary that christanel found in the 1851 census. Not only that, you will also have the name of Jane's father and should then be able to trace her line further back.

Whatever you decide, good luck with the ancestry hunting!

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by kev1965 View Post
    HI, OLLIE I GOT THE BIRTH CERT THIS MORNING FOR WILLIAM SAMUEL HARRIS HE WAS BORN 20/JUNE/1884 FATHERS NAME WILLIAM HARRIS A BRICKLAYER MOTHERS NAME JANE BISHOP ALL RESIDED AT ROUGH HILL LANE WOLVERHAMPTON STAFFS U.K. ...REGARDS....KEV
    Good news Kev. Looks like William and Jane in the census are the right couple after all. Thanks for letting us know.

This could be their marriage ...

Marriages Mar 1869 Wolverhampton 6b 624
    Allinson Fanny
    Bishop Jane
    Harris William
    Sotherton John

Wonder where they are in the 1871 census. Will take a look if I get a chance.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    Wonder where they are in the 1871 census. Will take a look if I get a chance.
    After a quick look, here is a possibility...

1871: RG10 Piece: 2940 Folio: 94 Page: 33 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    Miners Street, Wolverhampton
    MASON,Thomas, head, 35, Staffordshire
    MASON Mary, wife, 33 Staffordshire
    MASON Ellen, dau, 6 Staffordshire
    HARRIS William, boarder, 24, bolt forger, Bridgenorth Staffordshire
    HARRIS Jane, wife, 23, Wolverhampton Staffordshire
    HARRIS Mary Jane, dau, 3 mo, Wolverhampton Staffordshire

Maybe their first daughter Mary Jane died.

cheers ollie i may ave too go get that cert now thanks again...kev

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123