Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

thanks for all the info youve been a great help and thanks for finding the mistransciption...kev

Coromandel

Kev, if you're not sure where William Samuel Harris was born, perhaps it would be best to start with the 1911 census, which should show his age and birthplace.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by kev1965 View Post
    i have some definite info on his son ive got a marriage cert for william samuel harris of pond lane w-ton fathers name william a bricklayer but statedas deceased in 1909
    I think kev has a previous thread on William Samuel Harris here. Looks like William Samuel Harris and Gertude Florence are in the 1911 census here ...

1911: RG14/17041 SN273

There is a William Harris in the 1901 census. Birth place is stated as Bridgenorth. There is also a son William in the household.

1901: RG13 Piece: 2682 Folio: 179 Page: 20 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    107, Pond Lane, Wolverhampton
    HARRIS, William Head 55 Bricklayer Bridgnorth Salop
    HARRIS, Jane Wife 54
    HARRIS, Selina Daughter 18 Factory Hand Nut & Bolt
    HARRIS, William Son 16 Bricklayers Laborer
    DRAKELEY, Gladys Grand Daughter 4
    Rest of the household are born in Wolverhampton

This could be the same family the 1891 census. Birth place is now Wolverhampton. There is a son William Samuel in the household. He could be he yours.

1891: RG12 Piece: 2236 Folio: 120 Page: 7 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    Railway Embankment, Ettingshall Road
    HARRIS, William H Head 45 BrickLayer
    HARRIS, Jane Wife 43
    HARRIS, Clara Daughter 16 Seampstress
    HARRIS, Mary Daughter 13
    HARRIS, Sarah J Daughter 11
    HARRIS, Selina A Daughter 9
    HARRIS, Wm Saml Son 7
    All born Wolverhampton

I have a feeling that this William Harris may be the same chap as the one found in the earlier census by Christanel
    Last edited by olliecat; 21-02-2011 at 1:54 PM. Reason: added link to previous thread

ive got a marriage cert for william samuel harris of pond lane w-ton fathers name william a bricklayer but statedas deceased in 1909
    The Jane Harris who was the wife of William Harris in the 1891 and 1901 census, well this could be her in 1911...

1911: RG14/17081 SN121

You also may find this following marriage of some interest when you view Jane in the 1911 census above.

Marriages Mar 1899 Dudley 6c 65
    Harris Sarah Jane
    Powell Herbert
    Tipple George
    Westwood Ellen

fathers name william a bricklayer but statedas deceased in 1909
    On trying to find a death certificate, the closest match appears to be....

Deaths Dec 1901 Wolverhampton 6b 346
    Harris William H
    Age 55

Please take this as a best guess though.

A possible birth record for William Samuel Harris.

Births Sep 1884 Wolverhampton 6b 593
    Harris William Samuel

The birth certificate would give you the mum's maiden name. Personally, if I were to order this, I would also ask the register office to check that the father's name was William.

hi, dont have the marriage cert for william too mary ive only got the sons william samuel harris,s but now i know some more info i,ll be sending for it thank you...kev

hi olliecat i think this info is spot on it really seems too fit thank you am really grateful for youre help...kev
    Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    I think kev has a previous thread on William Samuel Harris here. Looks like William Samuel Harris and Gertude Florence are in the 1911 census here ...

1911: RG14/17041 SN273

There is a William Harris in the 1901 census. Birth place is stated as Bridgenorth. There is also a son William in the household.

1901: RG13 Piece: 2682 Folio: 179 Page: 20 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    107, Pond Lane, Wolverhampton
    HARRIS, William Head 55 Bricklayer Bridgnorth Salop
    HARRIS, Jane Wife 54
    HARRIS, Selina Daughter 18 Factory Hand Nut & Bolt
    HARRIS, William Son 16 Bricklayers Laborer
    DRAKELEY, Gladys Grand Daughter 4
    Rest of the household are born in Wolverhampton

This could be the same family the 1891 census. Birth place is now Wolverhampton. There is a son William Samuel in the household. He could be he yours.

1891: RG12 Piece: 2236 Folio: 120 Page: 7 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    Railway Embankment, Ettingshall Road
    HARRIS, William H Head 45 BrickLayer
    HARRIS, Jane Wife 43
    HARRIS, Clara Daughter 16 Seampstress
    HARRIS, Mary Daughter 13
    HARRIS, Sarah J Daughter 11
    HARRIS, Selina A Daughter 9
    HARRIS, Wm Saml Son 7
    All born Wolverhampton

I have a feeling that this William Harris may be the same chap as the one found in the earlier census by Christanel

thanks again seems like its a very good match cheers again for all youre help....kev
    Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    On trying to find a death certificate, the closest match appears to be....

Deaths Dec 1901 Wolverhampton 6b 346
    Harris William H
    Age 55

Please take this as a best guess though.

One more item of interest for you that I came across. This may be William and Jane in the 1881 census.

1881: RG11; Piece: 2807; Folio: 90; Page: 26 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    Ettinghall Lane, Wolverhampton
    HARRIS, William, head, 24 [34?] Bricklayer
    HARRIS, Jane, wife 23 [33?]
    HARRIS, Ann dau, 8
    HARRIS, Clara dau, 6
    HARRIS, Mary dau, 3
    HARRIS, Sarah Jane, dau, 1
    All born Wolverhampton

The ages of William and Jane are transcribed as 24 and 23 respectively. Looking at the image of the census, at first glance it does look like 24 and 23, but on closer examination it could also be a badly scrawled 34 and 33. The part that convinces me is that children are consistent with the children in the later 1891 census.

hi, dont have the marriage cert for william too mary ive only got the sons william samuel harris,s but now i know some more info i,ll be sending for it thank you...kev
    Sorry Kev, but now you've confused me. From the census, it appears that the parents of William Samuel Harris are William H Harris and Jane. Then going back another generation, the parents of William H Harris are possibly William Henry Harris and Mary Ann.

I would heartily recommend that the first certificate you get hold of is William Samuel Harris' birth certificate. With such a common name as Harris it is best to be on the safe side and not rely too much on the census. You don't want to end up following the wrong line. Personally I would obtain ..

1. William Samuel Harris' birth certifcate (to check that his parents are William and Jane and also obtain Jane's maiden name)
    2. Then obtain his father William Harris' marriage certificate to Jane

Once you have William Harris' marriage certificate to Jane, you will know if his parents are likely to be the William and Mary that christanel found in the 1851 census. Not only that, you will also have the name of Jane's father and should then be able to trace her line further back.

Whatever you decide, good luck with the ancestry hunting!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast