Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Hi Tim [and others]
    Have sent for the Records and if it details 1/2 of what my Dad saud, it should make for interesting reading. For example - his rank on being discharged in 1946 [see 1st post for exact date] was Lance-Bombardier. He said that during his time, he was promoted and demoted so many times that the "stripes" were attached to his uniform with Sello-tape since it made for easier attachment and removal.

He never bothered to claim his medals and if he was entitled to a pension and it had to be claimed [after 1959] rather than being automatically paid, I know that he never applied. Now, if that is the case, then like most things he couldn't be bothered with, it is probably gone with the sand of time,however it will be nice to know that his country recognized his efforts.:

On the subject of medals, he told me that he was entitled to 4. A few years ago he informed me that, as I wanted them to pass on to his granddaughter, it was too late. He and I then went to a Medal Show and picked up the 4 that he was entitled to, a really nice display case and they were proudly displayed at his funeral, along with a photo of him and mum on their wedding day [he in full uniform] November 30, 1940.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post

Have sent for the Records and if it details 1/2 of what my Dad said, it should make for interesting reading. For example - his rank on being discharged in 1946 [see 1st post for exact date] was Lance-Bombardier. He said that during his time, he was promoted and demoted so many times that the "stripes" were attached to his uniform with Sello-tape since it made for easier attachment and removal.

He never bothered to claim his medals and if he was entitled to a pension and it had to be claimed [after 1959] rather than being automatically paid, I know that he never applied. Now, if that is the case, then like most things he couldn't be bothered with, it is probably gone with the sand of time,however it will be nice to know that his country recognized his efforts.:

Colin
    Was my Dad like others who served?

CanadianCousin

I'm sure that my father must have been entitled to something, even if just for serving in the Army from 1939-45, but it didn't hold any interest for him (he didn't serve overseas). I think my mother might also have beeen entitled to some sort of civilian medal, although I'm not sure exactly what for (she was a schoolteacher in Coventry all through the war, even after marrying my Dad in 1943). Likewise, it wasn't something she particularly wanted, and I'm 99+% sure neither of my parents ever 'got their medals'.

My uncle Ken (Dad's younger brother), on the other hand, received an MC (Military Cross) from the King at Buckingham Palace, which I presume he kept!

Is that the sort of thing you were asking about, Colin?

Cheers -

Tim

Valued member of Brit-Gen barbara lee's Avatar

Hi Colin

My Dad served in the RAF during WWII, but never claimed his medals. But when the War was in the news in 1995 (50th anniversary of its ending), he sent for his medals "just for a laugh" expecting to get some sort of letter saying they had never had anyone claim them so late before. In fact they came back through the post, promptly and without comment, suggesting they had been sitting in storage just waiting for him to write.

So it wasn't too late for your father to claim his. If you are next of kin you may be able to claim the "real" ones even now.

Cheers

Barbara

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by barbara lee View Post
    So it wasn't too late for your father to claim his. If you are next of kin you may be able to claim the "real" ones even now.

Cheers

Barbara
    Thanks for this Barbara. If I can still claim them then when I get the 'papers' from the M.o.D. and there is a pension which can slso be claimed, even at this late stage, then I'll apply and see what happens.

But I won't be holding my breath!!

Colin

Lone Pine

Yes you can claim the "real" ones, this is something I am thinking about doing and its free as well!

Colin Rowledge

Thanks for this Barbara. If I can still claim them then when I get the 'papers' from the M.o.D. and there is a pension which can slso be claimed, even at this late stage, then I'll apply and see what happens.

But I won't be holding my breath!!

Colin
    Well, folks, to update this thread. Today I received a letter, very nice, with an apology that Family History requests are being deferred due to volume of requests for benfits to current and former service persons. and that as it could take 9-12 months for my requested documents to be sent, would I like a refund.

I have no intention of requesting a refund. These records are more important to me than the 30 quid spent!

I'm just letting folks know who may be wanting such records, prepare for a long wait since it is more than likely.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Well, folks, to update this thread. Today I received a letter, very nice, with an apology that Family History requests are being deferred due to volume of requests for benfits to current and former service persons. and that as it could take 9-12 months for my requested documents to be sent, would I like a refund.

I have no intention of requesting a refund. These records are more important to me than the 30 quid spent!

I'm just letting folks know who may be wanting such records, prepare for a long wait since it is more than likely.

Colin
    Can now advise that the records came today.

Colin

Name well known on Brit-Gen

it could take 9-12 months for my requested documents to be sent
    Can now advise that the records came today.
    11 months. Bang on target.

Glad to hear you've got them at last.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    11 months. Bang on target.

Glad to hear you've got them at last.
    Yes. This made a very unpleasant 24 hours past, much happier.

Colin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast