Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    LittleSpark

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    When I got a new computer with Windows 7 I discovered that the built-in backup facility created files that could only be read back on or imported back to the computer they came from; I may be wrong on this next bit, but I've a feeling they were in some kind of archive format rather than being simple copies of the original files. This wasn't at all what I wanted, so I now back up by simply copying (burning) files on to a CD. This can be done either in Windows or with a CD-burning program, and is very similar to what I used to do in XP.

I don't like the sound of the program being wiped from the computer - unless it's that the back-up utility is set to move files rather than simply copy them. And ideally you should only need to back up the data, not the program itself.

Arthur
    Hi Arthur,
    Yes the programme opens but all data has vanished - completely empty! My neighbour's son is very good with computers and even he doesn't understand it - so me being a computer novice has no chance.
    I will try copying straight to a disc as you say using windows and hope that works.

Sheila

bibliojunkie

Oh LizzieB so sorry to hear about your disaster. I know how I felt when I lost work stuff but to lose personal work over such a long period must be devastating.

I am a bit of a Luddite. My genealogy research info is not computer/techno dependent but in four binders (so far) stuffed with paper. Copies of certs and family tree updates are posted to two other relatives who are interested just in case anything happens to me or bibliojunkie towers.

Ali

Loves to help with queries

Hello to all the above,

At least my disaster has lead to a lot of discussion about the importance of backing-up to keep one's records safe and the dire cirumstances of not doing so. I'm going to give my age away when I say I still have a head 'like a boarding-house pudding'. I'm running on adrenalin and anger. However I'm plugging on and now have 98 (or is that 89) people back on the tree although I'm cutting it to the bone for now. When I think of the dozens of researchers who 'borrowed' my records that I now don't have .....! It means so much to know you wonderful B-G people are out there and genuinely do care that this has happened. Thank you all. LizzieB

mfwebb

LizzieB, I am so deeply sorry that all was lost. I feel for you as we all do here.

Regarding backups -- I have never used the in-built back-up facility in any computer. I can't explain why -- I suppose I haven't really trusted them. I prefer to copy my data onto a memory stick which I can use on any other computer. This stems from my days at work where several of us shared a computer in the early days and we each stored our own data on a real floppy disk.

Everything which I create on my computer is stored in a master folder which I call "Data" which is sub-divided into other folders as required. That way, I just need to copy the "Data" folder and all my important stuff is backed up. The "Data" folder is now very large so I copy it weekly onto a CD. The important sub folders I copy onto a memory stick after each useage. I have one called "History" where all my family history stuff is kept; another is "Brother's Keeper" where all the data from my genealogy programme is kept.

I also have an external hard-drive and a little gadget called "Click-Free", a type of USB stick which has backup software installed. I plug the external hard drive via the click-free device into my PC and it automatically starts an incremental back-up of files which are new or have changed. I am reminded to do this every 3 days.

Another little warning on this subject- just learned myself. Dont forget to check the backups you have made on your genealogy programs. Have just tried to restore a backup file in Legacy and found that it was corrupt. So there was I thinking how carefully I was backing up all my changes and they were unreadable anyway. so belt and braces from now on- backup and a gedcoom.

cheers..Ed

Wortle

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSpark View Post
    I've always used Family Tree Maker and never had problems doing back-ups until the computer crashed last year and we bought a new one with Windows 7.
    I'm not very computer literate so my daughter backs up my Tree. Since having Windows 7 we've encountered many problems which we didn't have with XP.
    Whenever she does a back-up now on to a disc, the actual programme is wiped from the computer (everything disappears) and then she has to reinstall a back-up from the disc she's just done. We cannnot 'look' at the disc either. With XP we could look at the copy which was 'read only'.
    It's very frustrating and fear that one of these days when she does a copy I will lose everything altogether!

XP was so much easier......

Sheila
    OOOOOh thats a bit worrying as I have just invested in FTM if it ever gets delivered. BUT what version of FTM are you using as only 2010 and 2011 are windows 7 compatible. Could that be the problem?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234