Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Brett Cairns

Fuel to the fire!

A ' Cousin ' of mine has an ' Aunt ' who posseses a sampler from the 1700's that has come down through the " Brett " lineage.
    It originally came from Twillingate.

" Here is what is on the embroidery " :

" The needle point is quite faded and I had planned to get it restored at the museum in St. John's but never did do it so I don't hang it up where there is light.

" It reads and is Written in the ' old language ' ".

' When I am dead and in my grave
    And all my bones are rotten
    When this you see " rember " me
    When I am quite " fargotten"
    But if remberance be a task
    Forget me '

' Done in the year of our Lord 17?? Catherine Sims '

NB. the i could be a y.

Brett Cairns

kaypilk

Hello Brett,
    New to this forum & just came across this conversation.
    Mary Elizabeth Brett & her husband Jacob Vincent from Dewlish are/were my husbands GGG grandparents.
    I have Mary Elizabeth born 1813 Dewlish, daughter of Henry BRITT & Sarah DRAKE.
    I have 7 brothers for her, of which I am very confident of 6.
    Charles Drake BRETT 1798-1861
    William BRETT 1800-1866
    David Drake BRETT 1802-1875 (this is the one I am not 100% certain of; the given names and birth date fits the sequence, but he was born in Milborne, Dorset, while the rest were all born in Dewlish. Also, the transcription of christening record gives family name as BUTT.)
    Samuel BRETT b 1805
    John Homan Brett b 1807
    Reuben BRETT 1810-1859
    Mary Elizabeth BRETT 1813-1898
    James BRETT 1818-1889

I know that Mary Elizabeth came to Australia with her husband, and her younger brother James also came to Australia. He never married.
    So, unfortunately, no Edward among them. Apart from Mary Elizabeth & James in Australia, I have the deaths of Charles, William, David & Reuben, all in Dorset. I have not been able to find deaths for John or Samuel in the English records.
    This may not be what you were looking for, but may at the least help you narrow your search.

Now, I have a question for you: you mention the "Family Tree of the Vincents of Newfoundland". Are you able to provide a link or contact for that tree? I have the descendents of Jacob & his brother Isaac, but don't know what happened to their other siblings. I have unconfirmed reports that one drowned in Newfoundland, but no evidence to back it up.
    Thanks for any info you can give me,
    Katrina

Brett Cairns

Hi Katrina:

I had sent a reply that I think did not get through.

Re: Vincents

Google ---- ' Al Beagan's Genealogical Notes for the Family Tree of the Vincents of Newfoundland '
    There are 2 parts > 1789 & < 1789

Re: Britts

The Robert Brett Family ( son Edward Britt ) is from Wimborne Minster.
    The Henry Britt Family ( son Samuel Brett ) is from Dewlish. So far I see no connection.
    Samuel Brett ( 1805 - C1870 ) settled and died in Moreton's Hr. Nfld. He married Rosannah Randall in 1827 ( b. Christchurch C1810 ).
    I think " John and Charles came to Nfld. and lived near Taylor's Cove. Their wives were from there. " ?????
    David Drake Brett was bapt. Aug. 15 1802 Dewlish ( ' OPC Dorset ' ).
    I would happy to answer any questions.

Brett

ValentineBurt

Hi there Brett,

My name is Valentine and I am your distant cousin

I am wondering if you came across any further information on Ambrose Rolf/Rolfe/Roff and Matilda Britt.

Thanks very much!

Ps. Edward Britt would be my gggg grandfather

Brett Cairns

Default Ambrose Rolf

Hi ValentineBurt:
    Email: brettcairns3337 AT hotmail DOT com
    Send me an E-mail and we will compare notes.

Brett
    Last edited by Jan1954; 16-11-2012 at 2:53 PM. Reason: Email address edited to try to deter spammers

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi All!

Brett, I am a descendant from the Samuel (Britt) Brett line mentioned above. There is an extensive family in Canada, the US, and Australia from this family. My question to you is have you thought about DNA testing to see if you connect to us? I have the Brett family DNA online through Family Tree DNA. I wanted to preserve the Brett Family line as best I could, so I had my Uncle tested. The lineage is as follows:

Uncle Brett
    Roy Bertrand Brett
    Walter G. Brett
    Reuben Brett
    Samuel Brett Sr.
    Henry (Britt) Brett
    George Britt

That might be a great place to start.
    Wendy

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123