Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Tinker

Default Chasing Thomas Dunstan across the ocean

I am trying to track down Thomas Dunstan, born c.1819, Wendron, Cornwall. He was the son of Benjamin and Jane Dunstan of Wendron, and married Ann Caddy on 31 October 1846, Wendron. He appears with his parents in the 1841 census, but is noticeably absent from all later ones.

I have recently come across information on the internet (dated 2003) stating that Thomas' wife was called Grace Caddy (her second name perhaps, or misremembered?) and that they had a daughter Grace, born c.1851 (I suspect earlier as there's no sign of them in the 1851 census), Cornwall, then several more children born in Victoria, Australia, which would indicate that Thomas and family emigrated to Australia some time in the 1850s. However, I am having huge difficulty in finding them in passenger lists and even more difficulty confirming where they are post-1851. Any suggestions, anyone? This one really has me stymied.

I have been having a look at your problem. Just some observations.
    There are 3 births of a Grace Dunstan between 1844 and 1851. The one you mention most likely to be Dec 1/4 1849 Helston 9/122
    Helston reg district covers Wendron.
    This Grace is not on the 1851 census. The other two reg 1844 and 1847 Redruth are.
    Thomas and Ann marriage reg gives her name only as Ann, no second name.
    There is only one Thomas and Ann with birth date c1820/1 on 1851 census and they do not have a dau Grace with them.
    To settle whether the Grace born Dec 1/4 1849 is the dau of your Thomas and Ann you could order the cert using the names of the parents. That way you won't have to pay if it is not Thomas and Ann.
    I can't see a shipping record for them as yet, earlier than 1851, as they aren't on the '51 census.
    There is a Thomas and Ann on the 1851 but he says born Stithians and as their first child was born c1843 I think we can say that they were the couple on the same page FreeBMD marriage reg Dec 1842 Thomas Dunstan and Ann Pearce.
    So no results but some elimination/clarification of suspects.

I have just taken a look at the two public trees on ancestry. Both of them have their Thomas Dunstan marrying an Ann Combellack Sept 1/4 1844 Helston (FreeBMD) then marrying Grace Caddy March 1/4 1854 Liskeard.
    So Ann and Grace on these trees are two different people and Thomas should be on the census in 1851 - unless he went to Oz after 1849 then returned for a second wife before 1854!

Mutley

The death of an Ann Dunstan is registered in Helson in March 1850.

I have taken another look at the two public trees and there is no Grace Dunstan born c 1850 in them. The only Grace they have is the second wife of Thomas and her dates are 1824 to 1886
    They have her parents as Thomas Caddy and Mary Combellack so was this Thomas's first wife a rellie of his second wife's mother?
    They do have Thomas as the son of Benjamin and Jane but their sources are not certificates only FreeBMD refs.
    Some details from these trees
    Child of Thomas and Ann Combellack
    Thomas c 1849 and absolutely nothing more on him. So how do they know about him? 1851 census?
    Children of Grace and Thomas
    There is a son John who has no birth dates just that he died before 1886
    Also Mary with same scant details

Benjamin Dunstan Father's name: Thomas Dunstan
    Mother's name: Grace Caddy
    Birth Place: Creswick, Victoria
    Registration Year: 1854
    Registration Place: Victoria
    Registration Number: 6538
    Ann DunstanBirth 1 March 1856 in Ballarat East, Victoria, Australia
    Death 13 June 1939 in Toorak, Victoria, Australia
    No source for this info
    Jane Dunstan
    Birth abt 1861 in Victoria, Australia
    Death ? No sources for this info.

I would be very careful with these trees. I went back to look at one of them and what it said about Benjamin and Jane, Thomas' parents.
    12 Feb 1820 Marriage to Jane Johns
    Wendron, Cornwall, , England
    perhaps Thomas's parents? parish records

You have the marriage cert for Thomas Dunstan and Ann Caddy? It gives Thomas' father as Benjamin?

Mutley

The IGI has a marriage for a William Dunston Caddy to Emily Rosewarne on 20 March 1849 at Helston.

Not sure where William fits in but he must be related.

Mutley

According to the 1851 census,
    William, born Wedron in 1822 and Emily (Rosey) Caddy also had a daughter called Grace age 4 (born 1847).
    HO107/1912/260/22

Sorry, I am not sure where I am going with this or why, it is no help at all with your Thomas Dunston.

IGI
    Thomas Dunstan
    No birthplace, birthdate or age for Thomas
    Bride's Name, Ana Caddy
    No birthplace, birthdate or age for Ann
    Marriage 31 Oct 1846
    Wendron, Cornwall, England
    Groom's father's name, Benjamin Dunstan
    Groom's Mother's Name:
    Bride's father's name, Thomas Caddy
    Source Film Number- 1596317
    Reference Number - 398

I wonder if Emily and Ann have the same father Mutley?

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    IGI

I wonder if Emily and Ann have the same father Mutley?
    I noticed that one also, the Ana struck me.

Emily Rosewarne may have been the Rosey with William in 1851 and I know I passed a Warne Dunstan while looking because I checked the original to see if it was a Thomas,
    I began to wonder if this family swapped their names around and maybe Thomas had a second forename.

I think it is possible Emily and Ann are sisters but the IGI has a lot of Cady, Caddy and Dunstons in Cornwall.
    I got a bit confused.....