Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mutley

Even so...
    There ought to be a baptism.
    The nearest Thomas I can find with surname John/s was to Nicholas and Salome on 25 APR 1819 or 07 AUG 1822 to a Nicolas and Mary. Unless Thomas was a middle name?

Hi, hope,
    you find this information useful- I have just joined in and found you discussion useful. I am a decendant of Ann Dunstan Thomas's daughter.
    I have accessed Thomas Dunstan's death certificate and it states that he married twice first to Ann Combellack at 26 yrs and then to Grace Caddy at 35 yrs. He died in Walhalla, Victoria, Australia 12th Feb 1889 age 73. Arrived in South Australia abt 1847.
    His parents are named as Benjamin Dunstan miner,and Jane (unknown),
    Children in order of issue
    Thomas 40
    Grace 35
    Ann dead
    Mary dead
    Ann 30
    Mary 28
    Jane 26
    Benjamin dead
    5 others names not known

The 5 others names not known adds another twist doesn't it?

Also I think Thomas and his family appear in a 1841 Census in Helston,Wendron the names of his parents are right and lists possible siblings.

Tinker

Hi 2468
    Thanks for getting in contact! My biggest problem is that Ann Combellack isn't likely to have married Thomas Dunstan: the only males' names that appear on the Sep Q 1844, Helston, marriage registration are those of Richard Reed Glasson and John Peters, whereas the names of Ann Caddy and Thomas Dunstan both appear in the Dec Q 1846 (Helston) marriage reg, and this pairing appears to be confirmed by the IGI version which gives the date of the marriage (31 October 1846) and the names of the couple's fathers - Benjamin Dunstan and Thomas Caddy. The original marriage certificate would confirm or disprove this. It is quite possible that the first wife's surname was forgotten or confused over time as I'm assuming that the death details were provided by one of the children or grandchildren.

As far as Thomas' arrival in Australia goes: parents Benjamin and Jane travelled to Australia in May 1847 and Thomas was more than likely with them, or had gone ahead in another ship. Thomas may have made the return journey with them in 1851, in order to be able to marry Grace Caddy in Liskeard in Mar Q 1854 (I believe I have found her in the 1851 census with her daughter Grace Moyle) and then gone back to Australia after the marriage, where the subsequent children were born. Benjamin's birth was registered in Creswick, Victoria in 1854.

You are correct about Thomas and his family appearing in the 1841 census. I, and another descendant of one of the siblings, have managed to trace several of the other children through later censuses and other sources, but Thomas has, so far, been a difficult one! John and Mary Jane may be two of the five children on Thomas' death reg whose names were 'not known.'

Hi Tinker,
    sorry for the delay in my reply.
    It seems that Thomas Dunstan jnr was the informant for Thomas Dunstans death certificate, and so he should be clear about who his mother is but it certainly does not add up if you consider the marriage records for Thomas. On Thomas jnr death certificate his mother is stated as Ann Caddy
    The name Combellack connected to Grace and Ann Caddy as their mothers name was Mary Combellack (1796-1867) and father Thomas Caddy (1794-1841).

Tinker

Ah! Thank you for clearing up the mystery, 2468! There are a number of public trees with Ann Combellack given as Thomas Snr's wife, so we now know that it is definitely an error. I had wondered if the Caddys were sisters, as I'd found baptisms for both a Grace and an Ann Caddy in Wendron parish. It's good to know that we now have the right Thomas. If you're interested I can PM you and pass on info about Thomas's other siblings.

Yes its confusing, I had found other public trees stating that Thomas Dunstan Snr had married Ann Caddy (1822) in Dec 1846 Helston and that Thomas jnr had married Grace Caddy (1824) in 1854 - but the death certificate of Thomas Dunstan jnr sorts this out as he is unmarried. I have some more information about the Caddy family if you are interested.
    Yes that would be great to know something about his siblings- although I am new to this sight and I'm not sure what PM actually is...

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by 2468 View Post
    Yes its confusing, I had found other public trees stating that Thomas Dunstan Snr had married Ann Caddy (1822) in Dec 1846 Helston and that Thomas jnr had married Grace Caddy (1824) in 1854 - but the death certificate of Thomas Dunstan jnr sorts this out as he is unmarried. I have some more information about the Caddy family if you are interested.
    Yes that would be great to know something about his siblings- although I am new to this sight and I'm not sure what PM actually is...
    A PM is a private message, you can chat away as much as you wish, off forum in private.
    If you click on the name 'Tinker' in dark blue on the left of the screen a drop down list will appear with several options.
    Click on the send a Private Message and a screen will appear similar to this but whatever you say will be a private conversation between yourselves. It may take a while for Tinker to know you have sent a message, depends on if email notification has been clicked in Tinker's profile.

Good Luck to you both.

Births of children of Thomas Dunstan and Grace Caddy- Victoria

Benjamin 1854 d 1855
    Ann 1856
    Mary 1857 d 1858
    Jane 1862
    John 1868

There is also an intriguing marriage of Grace Caddy Dunstan to Samuel Whitford 1868 Victoria

Also death of child of Thomas Dunstan and Ann

Elizabeth Anne 1861 aged 6

All copied from IGI Australian Vital Records
    Last edited by KathNZ; 18-03-2011 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Addition of information

From Cornwall Online Parish Clerk search baptism of Wearne Dunstan son of Bennet and Jane 1831 Wendron

Also from Aust Vital Records the birth of Grace Dunstan 1868 dau of Wearne and Grace, Victoria the same year as the birth of John Dunstan son of Thomas Dunstan and Grace Caddy and the marriage of Wearn Dunstan and Grace Pryor Dunstan 1867 Victoria

Another child of Thomas and Grace Caddy Mary b 1859

Does anyone know where Benjamin Dunstan married Jane and what her maiden name was ?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast