Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Knowledgeable and helpful

The state library of Queensland also have WILLIAM RADON transported on the Hillsborough, sailing October 1798 for New South Wales. Could be your man.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by carolchipp View Post
    A possibility - but I don't know if it's likely such a mistake would have been made - January 1798 London, a WILLIAM RADON was convicted of stealing a silver tablespoon and 3 silver teaspoons - sentenced to seven years transportation. I suppose finding, or not finding, William Radon as a convict would help.
    I was looking at that and wondering. Details are on the Old Bailey Online

The description for William Radon/Raydon tried Jan 1798 is 26, 5f 6, fair complexion dark hair, dark eyes [?], Cork, carpenter.

There was an earlier 1797 conviction for a William Regan. He was 24, 5f 4, fresh complexion, brown hair, grey eyes, Cork, carpenter. He got six months and a fine.

The earlier records I viewed via ancestry, listed William Regan as a carpenter by occupation so maybe it is the same man.

British library newspapers have 2 articles in Jan 1798 under William Radon but the site's playing up at the moment. I'll let someone else have a look - I need some sleep.

FredW

Hello olliecat,

Thanks for the help. I can't find any reference to a William RADON/RAYDON in the Convict Index or in the Colonial Secretary Index on the NSW State records site. I searched using William and r% and 'Hillsborough' but found nothing. Cork, carpenter on the 'Hillsborough' it looks like the same man. He married a convict:

Vessel: 'Atlas' Master: Richrd Brooks Weight: 435
    Origin: 29 Nov 1801 Cork Destination: 7 Jul 1802 Sydney
    Margaret Mary KAVANAGH arrived as a convict from Ireland aboard 'Atlas' on July 6, 1802

From Cork so it seems to fit.

Regards,

Fred

FredW

Quote Originally Posted by carolchipp View Post
    British library newspapers have 2 articles in Jan 1798 under William Radon but the site's playing up at the moment. I'll let someone else have a look - I need some sleep.
    Hello carolchipp,

Thank you very much for that. I have access to the Gale Collection through NLA so I'll search later today.

Regards,

Fred

Nannas

Hi Fred,
    William REGAN/RAGAN/RADON/RAYDON was tried at Old Bailey 1798 aged 21yo native of Cork Irleand.
    William received 7yrs and died in Goulburn NSW 1852.
    V18521085 118/1852 REGAN WILLIAM AGE 74

William is listed as REGAN on Colonial Secretary Index.

Nannas

Name well known on Brit-Gen

FredW is no longer a member of the forums and is therefore unlikely to see your post.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12