Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

The Caledonian Mercury Saturday March 31 1860
    TO SELL OR LET - THE VILLA OF PENTLAND GROVE

Five miles from Edinburgh, on the road to Penicuik, beautifully situated at the base of the Pentland Hills. The House contains Dining Room, Drawing Room, Five Bedrooms, Kitchen and other accommodation. There is a large garden, well stocked with fruit, intersected by a fine streamlet and valuable Ground adjoining, extending to 3 acres 10 falls scotch. The Lasswade, Penicuik and other Coaches pass daily at a short distance from the house. Apply at 38 Niddry Street.

Is this the right location?

Mary Young

Might be this one -

https://
    residentialsearch.savills.co.uk/property-detail/281345
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 21-01-2011 at 3:34 PM. Reason: direct link to commercial website

Tinker

Jane
    I have read through the thread, and I'm wondering whether John Connor, in his capacity as Superintendent of Dean Cemetery, wasn't simply acting on behalf of the Coroner, or whatever the equivalent is in Scotland? If Jane committed suicide, there would almost certainly have been an inquest, which is what I assume the newspaper article would clarify. As a single mother in domestic service she very probably wouldn't have had family nearby, or they may simply have disowned her, given the circumstances. Also, there may have been issues with her burial in consecrated ground, perhaps?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234