Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

I have now managed to order the certificates for the birth of baby Millman, the death of William Henry Bellew (just to see who registered the death) the marriage of Florence - there's one more cos I ordered four.................... AH, yes thats for Charlie Guilfoyle in another thread.
    I have easter egg money and the last of my Christmas present AND I sold a quilt so I could buy certificates! Yay.
    Now I have to wait...............I hate waiting.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    Birth Mar 1841
    Millman Female Lambeth 4 231
    Millman Female Lambeth 4 251
    (Haven't checked the page number on the scan)
    I sent for this certificate the birth date is 14th February 1841 and the father is Frederic Millman, mother Elizabeth Millman. He is a plumber they are living at 15 Paris Street North, St Marys Lambeth. These should be on the 1841 census shouldn't they?
    I'll have a go at searching for them.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.

Lizzy9

Hi Ladkyis,

There is a Millman family (bad image, but think it says Millman). They are in Paris Street North, however Frederick was a Painter, not a Plumber, I think his wife is Elizabeth, their daughter aged 3 months is named Hannah.

Take a look and see what you think, HO107 Piece 1057 Book: 8 Folio: 5 (Crown copyright, in care of TNA)
    Last edited by Lizzy9; 23-05-2011 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Changed folio number

Lizzy9

Sorry, forgot to say ........... they are indexed as Willman.

Lizzy9

There's a baptism at St Mary Lambeth for the above Hannah.

Hannah Jane Millman, born 1841, bap Oct 24 1841, father Frederick a painter, mother Elizabeth, living New St.

I have put that certificate in the "not mine - yet" pile. The postman hasn't been yet so I don't know what certificates will arrive today.

The death certificate of Louisa Bellew (nee Millman) arrived today.
    30th October 1874, Workhouse. Louisa Bellew, female, age 29. Artificial Florist. Phthisis, certified. H.M.Simmonds in attendance. 66 Camberwell Road, Walworth.

I have to say I shed a tear when I read it because my grandmother - Louisa's granddaughter - had an absolute horror of the workhouse. I realise now that this must have been instilled in her by her mother and by the hard times when she was growing up. I then opened the envelope containing the death certificate for William Henry Bellew as follows

18th November 1867 35 Lambeth Square, William Henry Bellew, Male, age 41 years. Gas Fitter, Master, Phthisis Aptha certified. The mark of Mary Ann Elsbury, present at the death 34 North street, Hercules Buildings, Lambeth.

Could Louisa have caught the TB from William? it's more than likely. is that what her six year old son died of? I'll have to get the certificate to find out but I bet it is. Were her other children lucky to escape it? oh most definitely.

They must have been quite well off, because he was a Master Gas Fitter so when he couldn't work their circumstances would be seriously reduced and after he died she would have only what her children could give her. It's all so Dickensian!

I also received the marriage certificate of Florence Alexandra Bellew to William Yates.

6th December 1881, The Register Office, Exeter. William Yates, age 24 years Bachelor, Private 11th Regt Foot, Higher Barracks Exeter. son of William Yates (deceased) Pipe Maker.
    to
    Florence Alexandra Bellew, age 20 years, spinster, - , Magdalen Street, Exeter. Daughter of William henry Bellew (deceased) Plumber.
    Witnesses The mark of Richard Hutchings, W.H. Bellew

I just love that her brother was a witness at her marriage. It shows how the army came into young william's life. After all if your sister married a soldier it must be a good life.

So lots of places to look and information to seek out. Did Florence have children? Did young William ever marry? What did he do when he left the army? Did he leave the Army? I am now going off to have a furk about in the records on Ancestry FMP and TNA I will add any new finds to this thread.
    My thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, I certainly couldn't have done it without you.

ETA: I can't get access to the images on FMP it keeps telling me "Unexpected end to file". I have emailed them about it but it is soooo frustrating!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234